Weedeater: basic B&S 3.5 push mower, stalled won't restart

Old 08-08-18, 03:20 PM
Cool Weedeater: basic B&S 3.5 push mower, stalled won't restart

Hi, to start with, it's a weedeater model # 961140003 16, 22in cut push mower Briggs and Stratton 3.5 pretty much your basic push mower. Now I was not running it when it stalled so I don't know anything but "It just stopped running and would not restart". I know my way around small engines and I have checked all the 'usual suspects'. Carb, Gas, Plug, Gap, Spark (yes), even changed out the carb/tank with another that I just ran. (nope) then the Coil from the same extra mower that just ran,(nope) and the most I can get out of it is a pop thru the carb and that's about it. I have pulled the plug and put a little gas in and replaced the plug and still just a couple pops thru the carb. I haven't pulled the flywheel, but did clean it and the pick up coil when I swapped it. I can't believe a mower stumped me. I can rebuild a small block Chevy but I can't get a frikken mower to run, (I'll never be able to show my face at the community block party again)... All joking aside, I spent a lot of time looking through other posts here who had the same sorts of problems,and tried a few things but didn't figure it out. But MAN you guys are Fantastic! Your answers and knowledge of equipment and willingness to help is amazing! Hope you can help me out because: "MoWeR HaTe mE"..Tommy in Minnesota

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-18, 04:15 PM
Whoever was using it may have hit something and sheared the flywheel key which controls the ignition timing so remove the flywheel and check the key. To lock the engine remove the spark plug get the piston to the bottom of the compression stroke load the cylinder with small rope like starter rope and leave a little hanging out, when you turn the crank to remove and tighten the flywheel nut the rope will lock the engine. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-08-18, 07:31 PM
Cool

Thanks GeoGrubb, I will give that a look in the morning. I asked if the mower hit a rock or something, and the answer was no. but did say it's been running poorly lately and would die in taller grass. Thanks so much for your response!

Last edited by mowerhateme; 08-08-18 at 07:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-09-18, 09:09 AM
I took of the flywheel and it all looked normal. Keyway was in and not sheared. put it back together and rechecked the distance between the coil and mag. .30 right? still have .spark, still won't run. checked gas again, tried choking it and adding gas, and priming, and still won't start. Only pops back thru the carb. now what?

Old 08-09-18, 11:07 AM
I always use a new business card for the coil gap. Try putting a spoonful of fuel in the sparkplug hole to see if it will run just a little. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-09-18, 11:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does it have compression?

Old 08-10-18, 09:13 AM
I've been doing the ol' 'mastie 1' trick of pulling plug and adding gas directly into the cyl. since the start of this mess, and still not running. every time i check or move the mag/coil distance, i recheck for spark, and it has spark. yes it does have compression, and i did take off the muffler to look for ?? but didn't notice anything out of ordinary in there. I'm gonna pull the head today and see if a valve is burnt or piston is damaged. i'll let you know what i find. sorry, i'm old and it's in the 90s and been humid all week so i havent been able to stand in the heat and pull on a mower cord for very long but i sure do appreciate you guys helping me. stay cool..