John Deere LA 175 Drive Belt Pulley

Old 08-19-18, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
John Deere LA 175 Drive Belt Pulley

I'm back again about the same garden tractor but with a different problem (the last one solved thanks to your help). I was driving the tractor yesterday, parked it and shut it off. When I restarted it, the tractor would not move forward or backward. When I looked under the tractor, I saw a pulley or pulley guide on the ground and the drive belt looked limp to me, so I assume the pulley is connected with that. Can someone tell me where this goes and how to reattach it? Is there a link with a diagram of the drive belt for this tractor so I can see how it is supposed to go? Any other thoughts are appreciated. I took a photo of the pulley but am not sure how to post it on this site. I can e-mail it to someone if you'd like to see it. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-18, 01:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 20 Votes on 17 Posts
https://www.green-parts-direct.com/j...5-170482-63496

Usually pulley #10 is the first to go.

Old 08-20-18, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the link to the diagram, Cheese. This part has a non-moving pulley on one end, and a long stem with a slot in it. That's what made me think it was a guide of some sort. Could this possibly be related to me removing the PTO clutch (which solved the shaking problem I was having)? Like maybe I didn't tighten something I should have after removing the clutch? I haven't gotten under there to look yet, but when it fell off, the part was laying on the ground just in front of where the seat is. Thanks!

Old 08-20-18, 12:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't picture what it is that came off. I doubt it had anything to do with the clutch being removed.

Old 08-20-18, 02:57 PM
I wish I could show you the photo; it actually looks like part #15 without the second pulley on the end. Almost looks like a bolt should have gone through the stem part to hold it on. And there is a slot in the stem as if it was supposed to slide into something else. I'll try to get under the tractor this week and see what it looks like; maybe it will be obvious where it goes. Thanks.

Old 08-26-18, 11:19 AM
I finally figured out what this part was -- it was a pulley the PTO clutch was connected to. Apparently, I didn't tighten the bolt enough when I took the clutch off.

It's back on now and the drive belt is properly routed and tight -- but the tractor still won't move backward or forward. The other weird thing is when the engine is running, I can get off the seat and the engine keeps running. I looked underneath and there was a switch next to the transmission the forward/backward peddle engaged in reverse where a wiring harness had come unplugged. I plugged that back in but the tractor is still stationary.

Could this be a transmission issue? Or could the seat switch be bad? Or is it something else? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 08-26-18, 01:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the bolt came loose, then the pulley on the engine that drives the transmission belt probably dropped too low and derailed the belt. Put the transmission belt back on and you should be fine.

Old 09-01-18, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the reply, Cheese. I put the pulley back on as well as the belt, and it is tight. With the tractor off, I pulled on the belt and it seems to be going around all the pulleys properly. Something weird is going on though; while the tractor is running, I'm able to get on and off the tractor with no brake on and it keeps running. However, this enabled me to view under the tractor while depressing the accelerator/brake peddle as it ran, and nothing happens. I'm wondering if something happened to the transmission when the pulley fell off and the belt disengaged.

Old 09-03-18, 04:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like maybe the tensioner spring popped off or out of place.

Old 10-02-18, 12:05 PM
It turns out I did two things wrong with this: one, I didn't have the drive belt pulley up as high as it should have been and, second, I didn't have the pulley lined up properly with the key on the engine shaft. Once I did these two things, I had about a one inch gap at the bottom of the drive belt pulley that I eliminated with washers ( I suppose you could also construct a sleeve out of metal to fill in the space). After putting the bolt on tight, it works fine now. I appreciate all of the input I got from everyone, trying to help me with this. Thanks!