John Deere D130 - Replacing Brake Safety Switch Wiring

Old 08-21-18, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
John Deere D130 - Replacing Brake Safety Switch Wiring

Last Friday I went to start mowing and the engine would not start, just a single click and nothing. Battery voltage was 12.6v, so swapped out the starter solenoid as the last time it did this, that fixed it. Sadly, not this time.

At this point I moved onto checking the engine was not seized, voltage getting to the solenoid etc. which is when I noticed that the wire coming from the brake safety switch to the solenoid has some corrosion on the female spade terminal. Reading a voltage here I could not get more than 10.4v. Jumping the terminals on the switch the solenoid started clicking a bunch more, then eventually started. I plugged the switch back in, a few clicks again and the mower started. So I don't think the switch is completely bad, but looks to be failing.

Now, the issue is that the previous owner broke the switch so it is actually sort of hanging outside the mower and you have to reach down with your hand to press it when starting the mower. Because of this and the corrosion on the ends of the wire, I figure I will just replace it and put it where it is supposed to be.

The switch itself looks easy to replace, but is there a wiring harness that can tidy up the wiring going from the connector that the switch plugs into, out to the solenoid? Ideally I would like to find a harness that replaces all 4 wires coming out of the brake safety switch so they are all clean and working reliably.

Any harness available? Or will it be simpler to just make one?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-18, 11:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 19 Posts
I don't think they offer a harness to splice in there. I think you can buy the spade terminals that fit in the connector though.

Old 08-26-18, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Put the new switch in, still acting up, so must be the wiring somewhere. A multimeter on the solenoid terminal coming from the switch does not read more than a couple volts.

Is there anywhere I can find a wiring schematic? Would at least help some with tracing where everything goes. Not that there is much of it, but I'd at least like something to reference whole troubleshooting.

Old 08-26-18, 10:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 19 Posts
Check battery voltage at the cables, not the battery itself. Start there. If okay, the fuse connector is the next likely place for a poor connection.