Weird oil levels in Tecumseh engine

Old 08-27-18, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weird oil levels in Tecumseh engine

Toro Model 20073 Recycler Mower (2007)
Tecumseh LV195XA (6.5HP)

Neighbor dropped off his mower last night pointing to oil all over the front deck. Checked oil level and found it just at the fill line. Did not top it off.

Next day I pulled the plastic and metal shrouds with recoil starter. Cleaned/degreased
entire engine. Blew off water and let it dry for about an hour. Went around entire engine to make sure it was "spotless".

Started it up and let it run for about 5 minutes. Found leak at flange gasket front of engine dead center. About an hour later came back out and the entire front of the deck was loaded with black oil. Here's the REALLY strange part: For grins I checked oil level and it was about 1/4" OVER the full mark. Totally weird. Any thoughts?

I could replace the flange gasket along with the crankcase breather, but since the mower is 11 years old we're not sure if it's worth the trouble.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-18, 08:52 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Probably gas in the oil from a leaking carb float valve.

Old 08-27-18, 09:32 PM
Never thought to check. Too darn hot to think straight out in the garage. LOL

Will check tomorrow.

Thx for the tip marbobj

Old 08-28-18, 08:17 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It is most likely the gasket between the upper and lower halves of the crankcase has failed and will need to be replaced, you might get lucky and just tighten the bolts. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-28-18, 01:05 PM
Definitely is the flange gasket as I could see where it was leaking when the mower started yesterday. Couldn't smell any gas in the oil.

Volunteered to pull the engine off the deck and snug up the flange bolts. 115-120 In. lbs. or so I think. May as well pull the flywheel and check the breather.

Fresh oil and we'll see how it goes next time the neighbor uses it.

Old 08-29-18, 08:49 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
So the "Flange" gasket is the same thing as the "Crankcase" gasket when working with Tecumseh Engines ?

Old 08-29-18, 09:46 AM
Flange or Crancase Gasket

One and the same. Even when working with small 4 cycle Briggs & Stratton engines found on lawn mowers.

Image above is a B&S.

(Still working on my neighbor's Toro.)

Old 08-29-18, 09:58 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Good to know . . . . I've only seen "flange" used in conjunction with plumbing connections and exhaust system tubing and pipes.

Old 08-29-18, 12:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 19 Posts
I never heard it called that either. Usually a crankcase cover gasket or sump cover gasket or oil pan gasket. The only flanges with a gasket on these that I can think of is the exhaust flange gasket.

Old 08-29-18, 06:11 PM
Replaced gasket

Original decision was to snug up the flange bolts but happened to find a new flange/sump/crankcase gasket in an old tool box.

Interesting discovery when flange was removed. The original gasket was "bubbled" exactly where it was leaking. Looks like it shifted - or got sucked into - the crankcase? The small section of gasket (yellow line) seems to have hardened.

Judging by the discoloration on the casting, it may have originally been in place from the factory (darker area) but something happened along the line. Two adjacent bolts were tight.

Ran it for 5 minutes after getting it back together. No leaks. Neighbor just picked it up. . He’ll be cutting grass later this week. Time will tell.

Cheese: Leave it up to Google, whoever's selling or their listing. Crankcase works for me.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1535587852

Attached Images