John Deere L120 with B&S 20 hp running poorly

Old 09-09-18, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
John Deere L120 with B&S 20 hp running poorly

I have John Deere L120 riding mower. My mother in law gave it to me when she bought a new grass cutter for me to use at her house.
The reason she bought a new one is that the JD wasn't running properly. This all happened in 2017. The engine would start. But it would run very rich. So rich it apparently blew a seam on the muffler and flames would shoot out that opening. It also did not have enough power to run the cutting blades (PTO).
I move the mower to my house where it has sat a year. I would like to get it running this year. I haven't done anything to it yet. I know to empty the old gas.
Last year I did replace the air filter, oil filter and oil, spark plug and fuel filter in hopes that would fix the problem.
The engine is a Briggs and Straton 20 HP Intek Twin-V OHV. The engine data is: model number - 40677; type - 0128 E1; Code - 030617YG.
I am not willing to take apart the carburetor and would be rather just replace it if that would fix the problem.
After I replaced the parts listed above, I saw no improvement with the performance.
The question is, should I put more money into this mower or is that a waste of money.
One more thing, my father in law had the hydro/automatic transmission replaced about four years ago. (maybe five years) (He passed away 2 1/2 years ago.)
Thank you for your help.

Last edited by meatballkop; 09-09-18 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-18, 11:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 505 Votes on 475 Posts
I am up to taking apart the carburetor and would be willing to just replace it if that would fix the problem.
There's your problem. And now..... especially after the old gas being in there for an additional year.

Old 09-09-18, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pete, I have not run it yet this year.
I have a week off right now and the time to work on it, although the weather forecast doesn't want to cooperate. :-/
Do you think it is worth putting the money into it?
And it was supposed to read " I am not up to taking apart the carburetor..."
Meaning, I'd rather not delve into that headache.