Red hot exhaust glowing.

Old 09-09-18, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red hot exhaust glowing.

I have a Troy-Bilt Bronco riding tractor with a 19 horse Briggs & Stratton motor and it needed a new muffler so I got an aftermarket bolt it on run the mower and the top of the exhaust is glowing red what could be the cause

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-18, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
I'm not the pro here but I've seen mufflers glow red on my gas powered equipment too.
Usually it's a dull red and not seen in the daylight.

Old 09-09-18, 08:27 PM
Received 28 Votes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Buddha1969
the top of the exhaust is glowing red what could be the cause
Three quick guesses, Flow, Lean, Tuned.

First, flow, is the aftermarket muffler LOUDER?
Then it's probably a bit cheaper or simpler with thinner / fewer bafles like hot rod "glasspack" mufflers"- Fewer baffles decrease resistance, increase flow, and results in hotter exhaust.

Second, lean, fewer baffles ALSO means more air OUT, which pulls more air IN so the engine might be running lean, which produces a hotter combustion and exhaust.

Third, tuned, to get the maximum power for an engine, you can "tune" the intake / exhaust mainfolds. The old Mopar 413 "long horn" intake manifold took this to ridiculous extremes-

But it worked. The "sound of the exhaust" you hear is due to waves of high and low air pressure bouncing back and forth through the exhaust/muffler, sound is moving MUCH faster than the exhaust gas.
As a result, if you engineer a muffler 'just right' then you get LOWER pressure at the exhaust valve (which sucks exhaust out of the cylinder) and HIGHER pressure at the muffler end (which pushes exhaust out into the air faster). If the aftermarket muffler is different, you may loose that "tuning" and get a hotter exhaust pipe.

Last edited by Hal_S; 09-09-18 at 08:56 PM.