Need to connect new Batts to Electric Lawn Mower Terminals

Old 09-15-18, 07:34 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to connect new Batts to Electric Lawn Mower Terminals

So, years ago I bought a Solaris lawn mower, since everyone was pushing the GO GREEN thing here. 5 cents on every charge.. sounded so revolutionary. That was, until I found out how horribly expensive it is to re-buy new batts every 24 months as they stop holding charge. And how terrible it is to the environment to get rid of the old batts. These are a scam, but lesson learned...

Even worse, the company no longer makes batts for the mower, so I had to purchase a replacement from a 3'rd party (that claimed they were compatible).

Problem, is the terminal is different! So how do I connect the terminal now? The old batts had a cylinder on the terminals that just snapped into place perfectly. I tried to look for some sort of conversion kit, but came up empty. Maybe I'm over-thinking this?

First pic is the NEW battery I'm trying to use (in position).... last pic shows the old style battery terminals for reference.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-18, 10:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 25 Posts
I guess you could saw the posts off the old battery, drill and tap them for a screw, and make short wire jumpers with ring terminals at each end. Clip the posts in with the wires attached to the new battery. Most things we have to deal with that are supposed to be "better for the environment" are scams. From the light bulbs in our homes to the ethanol in our fuel. They take more energy and pollution to make than they save in use. Same with battery cars and mowers.

Old 09-15-18, 10:35 AM
T
I really don't want to saw anything off a battery... But maybe I can check for some of my round-bar stock metals and start to work with that. It's an idea. I just thought there would be some sort of standard universal conversion kit or something for people to pick up. Didn't know a simple procedure as using 12v batteries on lawnmowers required so much unorthodox work.

I do have some solid aluminum roundbar.. .will do some measurements shortly. Maybe I can turn it down on a lathe with a taper and connect it to small wire.

Old 09-15-18, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 741 Votes on 696 Posts
I just thought there would be some sort of standard universal conversion kit or something for people to pick up.
I've never seen a battery come like that and the strange thing is that it carries a generic battery part number that doesn't include those posts. It makes me think that those round posts may be just pushed on there and could be removable.

Here's one approach...... youtube.com/watch?v=ekoHXquTKjc

Old 09-15-18, 11:56 AM
T
I tried just now to remove those weird peg-posts, but impossible. Seems it's like welded as part of the battery or something.

I am not going to try to force it any harder as there is sulfuric acid in there.

Old 09-15-18, 01:52 PM
T
Alright, I did my modifications, unfortunately, I got a little disoriented, and now I can not remember where this loose (skinny black) wire with the red tag on it connects to. I know it EITHER goes to the screw already holding the thicker black wire, or the other screw an inch away holding that plate, but I can't remember which now.

Note, we are looking from the bottom upward of where the batteries sit and connect.

If I had to guess, I was going to think it connects to the plate an inch away from it, but you'd have both a red and black wire connected to that metal plate, which seems weird. Isn't that metal plate supposed to make the use of wires connecting redundant?

Seems I've made a fool of myself here...

Thanks in advance for any advice on this. I don't want to take my 50% guess, and guess wrong and damage or worse...

Attached Images   
Old 09-15-18, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 741 Votes on 696 Posts
It would be helpful to see the other wiring for the other battery at the same time.
I thought these mowers ran on 24vdc. Two batteries in series.

It would not connect to the bolt on the metal plate..... as that would be a direct short.
It would go to the bolt by itself.

Old 09-15-18, 02:57 PM
T
I'll try to get some more photos done PJmax.

The wiring here shown is actually both BOTH batteries. One thing that may not be clear here is on the right side, there is a hidden plate as well, that connects the - and + ends... which I'm sure is to connect them in series.

The original batts do say 12V.. so I can confirm, it's 12v connected in series.

I will try to sketch on top of the images for clarification.

Old 09-15-18, 03:27 PM
T
So, to gain a matter of perspective...

We will go by 'blower side' for the side that throws out the cut grass. LOL. I put both an old and a new batt in with labels, so we also have a known perspective.

Attached Images    
Old 09-16-18, 07:13 AM
T
And now the plot thickens...

Not wanting to ruin the new batteries, I put back in the old two, and decided I will do some experiments. First, I decided to leave the thin black wire not connected to ANYTHING.

I fully expected this NOT to work... but low and behold... I get a green light when charging without that wire connected. And when I put the ignition key in, the power lights light up... and yes folks, I can turn on the mower and cut grass.

???

Now what was the point in even having this small black wire with the red marker on the end?

Old 09-16-18, 07:36 AM
T
Alright, after further testing... I think I can breathe finally.

I connected the loose wire to the 'plate' side, and this not only failed to bring the charger light on, but made a weird weezing sound out of the charger.

I then wired the black cable to the thicker black cable on the other side. This seems to work, and charger lights up, but lights red instead of green as before with (no wire connected). This makes sense as the batteries are not fully charged yet. Without that wire, I don't think the charger would have powered up those batts, as it would have been stuck on green light, which means fully-charged.

So that being said, I think we've got it.

Will continue charging the old batteries this morning, just to make 100% sure it works, and once they run dry in 5 minutes I will go back to installing the NEW batteries. lol

So for anyone else with a Solaris green-earth mower and needing new batts modded, etc...(I know there are a bunch of them out there), hopefully this thread will be a saver.