craftsman 917.254320 deck problems

Old 09-18-18, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
craftsman 917.254320 deck problems

I have a craftsman 917.254320 42 inch deck, making deck noises (squealing ,grinding)with blades engaged, more constant with deck lowered, seems if I raise the deck it doesn't do it as much, it will cut ok but will stop for 10 or 15 feet or so then start cutting again, seems to do this more if I go across an incline, not so much if I go up and down.should the mandrel turn easily by hand, they seem a little hard to turn, I don't feel any play in them.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-18, 11:51 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I would say loose or worn belt is causing the issue.

Old 09-18-18, 02:24 PM
Would the belt cause the noises coming from the deck

Old 09-18-18, 02:55 PM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
If the belts is frayed or missing a "chunk", it likely will make noise.

Old 09-18-18, 03:17 PM
Received 61 Votes on 56 Posts
Yes, could very well be the belt. Sometimes it's too easy to jump right to worst case scenarios, and overlook the simple ones, so the belt is where I would start. And while it's off for inspection and/or replacement, I would check that the blades are tight, and check the the idler pulley(s) and mandrels. (I call them spindles, but see that the manual says mandrels so we'll stick with that.) It'll take a few more minutes, but, particularly if I suspect a problem, I like to remove the center bolts and hold the idler pulley(s) in my hand so that I can feel and hear them. They should turn freely with no friction, grinding, chirping, etc. And I would check the mandrels while everything is free. They're not going to take off and spin like a pinwheel, but should move freely and easily as you rotate them with your fingers. Have you maintained them, as in greasing or changing the oil as prescribed? Have you possibly hit anything with the blades? If so, I would make sure that the deck is on a level surface, and measure from that surface to the blades to make sure that they are not wobbling.

Old 09-19-18, 06:25 AM
Ok thanks, I will check everything like you said, I did look at the belt and there was some fraying going on, I'll have to take it off and check the pulleys and spindles,thanks again and I will let you know how I make out. Might be a couple days until I get some time to fool with it.