electrical box comments

Old 09-30-18, 10:15 AM
Received 118 Votes on 108 Posts
electrical box comments

These are pics of my electrical box at my cabin. I removed the neutral bar in order clean it up. Rust corrosion.

Looking for comments about it. I plan on using a portable generator to provide power. I have two choices I can go with. One is an RYOBI RYI2200 1800 WATT DIGITAL INVERTER GENERATOR. It's very quite and is preferred. The other choice is a Coleman Powermate 5000 watt. I'm currently using this unit as a back-up to my home through a transfer box, but plan on getting a whole house natural gas generator.

My only need is mainly for light and occasions vacuum cleaner. In fact I am using it for that purpose now, but with extension cords. The cabin is already wired with outlets and light fixtures, all at 15 amps as the circuit breaker show.

So my question is what would be the proper way, in terms of extension cord or wire to connect to the 100 amp main switch. What outside wall connector would I be looking for?

Note: Safety is of concern but not codes. Although technically there is a coder enforcer (I bought this place from the town code enforcer) they are not enforced unless it's for a permanent home.

Name:  IMG_20180928_145330183.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  91.0 KB

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-18, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
Where did the feed go to that Federal Stab-Lok panel ?

Old 10-01-18, 03:52 PM
The cabin never had any feed going to it. Even though the cabin is wired with outlets and light switches, no power was ever wired to the main.

Old 10-01-18, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Safety is of concern but not codes.
If that is true, I recommend replacing that FPE panel with something that has a better track record.

You can either connect a cord to the main breaker, or run a cable and install an inlet on the side of the building. Either way I would also recommend using something smaller then the 100 amp breaker by sizing it to the wire/cable you will be feeding the panel with. (Example: if you use a cord with #10 wire then use a 30 amp breaker, #12, 20 amp, etc. )

Old 10-01-18, 06:49 PM
I recommend replacing that FPE panel with something that has a better track record.
Can you explain? This only a hunters cabin and not much more. The main purpose is for lighting.

What are the ramification if I use the existing 100 amp connect? Most likely I'll use a #12 or #14 AGW size wire