Briggs and Stratton Flywheel and magnets

Old 09-30-18, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Briggs and Stratton Flywheel and magnets

Patient: Poulan XT (PXT195G42) Engine: Intek 19.5hp/B&S Model #31P677 3373 G5
Issue: Fixing this mower for a friend, hopefully on the "cheap". Recv'd it with dash, wiring, clutch cable, steering wheel, anyway, in pieces, but generally the mower is in really decent shape and the owner got it for nothing. I had it running fine and the only thing I was doing prior to installing the engine shroud was spinning flywheel and noticed that there was a gravely, kind of a grainy noise while turning. I had a cheap puller which tried but failed in that attempt. Although it did start to move the wheel up the crankshaft. I put the flywheel bolt back in, removed the oil dipstick, and with a crowbar and hammer it came loose with one smack on the bolt. THE ISSUE: flywheel magnets were all loose. Did I do this with the hammer??, or was this the reason for the noise. The stator seems to be in fine shape. The flywheel and key are in good condition, but I am no expert. I pulled all the magnets out before noticing the hash mark on one side of them, as they were just all over the place. I believe I have the magnets configured how they should should be in the flywheel, but I remember the polarity markings (what I am believing the hash marks to be) were all down. I researched on the internet for another flywheel, ebay had pics of some for sale which were the same, but the pics showed the hash marks up. I am thinking as long as we alternate n and s, in other words, magnets spaced evenly and each looking to attract to the next, and I can tell by the slight curve which side faces out toward the stator, I should be ok, but am definitely not sure, and have never attempted this I found some refurbished ones for anywhere from $56 to $165, and I am just trying to save my friend some money There are chips on some of the magnets, and I don't know if that would be an issue either. First post Gentleman, and after reading through this sight, I am certain there is someone who could throw a little advice to me. I hope this was not too winded, and I would appreciate any information. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-18, 06:36 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Clean everything up, take the rust off the flywheel where the magnets mount. Then use an epoxy glue and stick them back on. Don't use a glue with metal in it.

Then see if it works.

Old 09-30-18, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marbobj View Post
Clean everything up, take the rust off the flywheel where the magnets mount. Then use an epoxy glue and stick them back on. Don't use a glue with metal in it.

Then see if it works.
Thank you for the response marbobj. It is late hear and I was just checking in before wrapping the day up. I will certainly get on that this week and check back.