Craftsman 917.20380 Mower Deck Issues

Old 09-30-18, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman 917.20380 Mower Deck Issues

I just bought the mower this afternoon used. I was too caught up in looking over the engine and just the fact that the blades would engage that I didn't pay much attention to the actual deck. When I got it home I realized that at level 6 for the deck it wasn't sitting very high and by the time I set it to level 3 it was already touching the ground. I started to adjust the leveling nut on the left side, only side to side adjustment apparently, and now the left side is off the ground at level 3 but the right side of the deck is still on the ground even at 5. I say at 5 because now I cant even get the deck to go to level 6 because the left side tops out before it can go into the 6 slot. I'm lost... I have the manuals in hand.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-18, 05:26 AM
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
Only use the deck bottom to level the blades if the plane of the blade tips (cutting edge) and the deck bottom are parallel to the ground (flat reference). Otherwise use the blade tips. If the blade spindles are not plumb, it's a swag. Side to side level is more important than front to back.

Old 10-01-18, 11:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 19 Posts
Look at the points where the deck hanger brackets are welded to the deck to be sure they haven't puled loose. I see that a lot.