Blow-by/spewing & sucking oil John Deere 115 with Briggs & Stratton 19 OHV

Old 10-02-18, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blow-by/spewing & sucking oil John Deere 115 with Briggs & Stratton 19 OHV

I have a JD lawn tractor I rescued from a state of total dereliction. I got it running rather easily in it's "as found" (+ carb cleaned, battery, etc.) condition. It's a 2003 model with a single cylinder OHV Briggs & Stratton 19HP engine. Now, after replacing the steering gear, rebuilding the deck, paint, & miscellaneous clean-up & tune-up work, I have it running as an operable lawn tractor. Immediately, I found that - especially under loads - it was smoking. I also noticed the fuel pump (pressurized from a line to the crank vent (sounds typical for these & I don't know if it's necessary once the engine is running) was getting doused with oil. Pulling the dipstick with the engine running causes a lot of oil to rush out...so, as I was originally suspecting worn rings (which the power & sound of the engine doesn't really seem to support), it seems like the crankcase is pressurized and sending oil via the fuel pump into the carb...so, basically, in addition to loosing crankcase lubrication, I'm getting oil injection.

So, some 'net searching seems to imply that the head gasket is a common source of this problem & common on these engines. Changing it & re-adjusting valves seems easy enough. I read (here I think) about loosening the rockers to keep the valves closed & pressurizing the cylinder via a spark plug fitting...is this basically the test? I haven't checked the compression, but based on how it runs (despite the smoke), i'd be surprised to find it low (and, frankly, I don't know what it *should* be anyway). Is there anything else I should check or look for that would cause the blow-by or case pressurization?

thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-18, 07:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 273 Posts
There are two different but similar tests; compression and leak down. If the engine starts easy and seems to have good power I would suspect a blown head gasket. If you don't already have the tools to perform a compression or leak down test I would just pull the head and replace the gasket.

Old 10-02-18, 07:26 AM
Thanks. I do have everything and might as well check. I like the head gasket idea because itís rathet easy! I rescued this lawn tractor to use after my 16HP OHV on my previous tractor threw a rod in ararher spectacular & case-breaking way . I have take the 16HP apart mostly to see how these things are constructed and it seems like simple job.

Relatedy, is there a definitive WWW location to find the proper part # for the gasket? I see a lot of 15-18.5 gaskets listed online but oddly no 19HP ...

Old 10-02-18, 08:04 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Old 10-02-18, 01:40 PM
many thanks. that's perfect & contrary to my usual solid scientific approach to such things + considering it's cheap, I now have a gasket & rocker cover gasket on their way to me. If my guess proves right, this will save time that's more valuable than a few bucks!