LONCIN engine

Old 10-09-18, 10:03 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
LONCIN engine

I am looking at a flail mower with 15Hp Loncin engine.

Anyone knows how bad those engines are? There is no good review on them, mostly "anything that came from China is junk" with occasional "runs for years no problem" insert.
If that flail mower shows itself as expected, I'll mow once a month instead of once or twice a week, so not much use on it. Maybe 4 hrs per mow.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-18, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 242 Votes on 221 Posts
Are parts available for the engine?

If not then I'd look at what engines you could replace it with. Maybe you use the mower with the Loncin engine until it dies then put on a new engine if it ever comes to that.

Old 10-09-18, 11:07 AM
Said to be Honda knock off.. That's what I was thinking. Kill it and replace with B&S or used Honda engine. Maybe toss in a more powerful one.
Those been around for long long time, parts are likely available but why bother...

Old 10-10-18, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've had good luck with China motors. They're so exact in reverse-engineering that the parts often interchange.

The only caveat I've heard more then once is to put fresh oil in it on receipt, run it for a minute, then change it again. Story goes that when they test them on the line they keep re-using the same oil over & over on all new engines. Even assuming it's filtered there's got to be some crud transferred.
New oil & filter is cheap insurance.

Old 10-10-18, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I have two HFT compressors and both make it requirement to do oil change right away. My 96 gal one runs for almost 13 yrs by now.