Robin -Subaru EX21 Decompressor Not Working

Old 10-09-18, 08:15 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Robin -Subaru EX21 Decompressor Not Working

I have a Robin-Subaru EX21 that is used on a pressure washer which I have since new. The recoil is hard to pull, so it feels like the decompressor is not working. The unloader valve is not the problem, since the recoil is also hard to pull through without water pump pressure (without engine starting to protect pump) . The valve clearances are OK and the engine runs fine otherwise . Is there anything else I should check ?

Old 10-09-18, 08:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
The unloader valve is on the ouput side of the pump. It opens when the pressure on the outlet side is high. It has nothing to do with water going to the pump. So, even without the water being turned on there can still be resistance from the pump. As a test you can disconnect the high pressure hose or hold the trigger down on the gun when you try pulling the cord.

Old 10-09-18, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
I have an Excell pressure washer with a CAT pump and an 8hp Honda engine. If I have the water hose connected and turned on..... I cannot pull the starter rope. It has been like this since day one and is now 20 years old. I put a water shutoff valve at the pressure washer. I start it with no water and as soon as it starts I turn the water on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: