Kohler CV15S won't start

Old 10-09-18, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kohler CV15S won't start

Even though this topic has been covered by others, I've run into a strange problem, at least for me. The engine is a 15.5 HP Kohler CV15S used in a Sears lawn tractor. Recently the engine died while I was cutting the lawn. Gas into carb is good and getting to the plug and the electrical system and interlocks check out OK. After pulling off the engine covers, I found that I was not getting any spark from the plug. I replaced the plug and ignition module (10 mil gap and kill wire disconnected) with new items. Still no spark. The magnets on the flywheel are still there. I'm ready to send this thing to the scrap heap unless someone has any kind of clue why I'm not getting any spark.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-18, 05:10 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
With the kill wire disconnected the only components in the spark generating circuit are the module and the flywheel magnets. Either you have a bad module or you don't have the spark plug well grounded for checking. No need to scrap the mower......... yet.

Old 10-09-18, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree; that's why this problem has been so bloody frustrating. The module has been replaced with a new one. And, I've also tested the new and old modules. As I said, the magnets are still in the flywheel. Are they strong enough? I have no way of determining that answer short of replacing the flywheel. The spark plug was clamped to a couple different spots on the cast engine body while checking for a spark.

Any other ideas, anyone!!

Thanks

Old 10-09-18, 06:10 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Resistance testing modules doesn't provide the conclusive results most of us are after. Once that kill wire is disconnected, the ignition system gets down to the flywheel magnets (these are the ones that run against the module pickups) and the module itself. The magnets seldom go bad. That leaves the module. Of course it has to be installed correctly.

The thing that shows up here the most often is the module being replaced by another one that's bad. The low dollar modules you pick up online often don't work. One poster went through three to get a good one.

Did you put a new Kohler module on it or a used one, or an ebay bargain job?

Old 10-09-18, 06:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 19 Posts
With the kill wire removed, check for spark. If none, you have a bad coil/module. Replace it with a kohler coil, not aftermarket, as marbobj suggests.