Tecumseh OHV130 riding mower running rough

Old 10-16-18, 11:21 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tecumseh OHV130 riding mower running rough

I have a 1998 riding mower with a Tecumseh OHV130-206820B engine (Engine Family TTP358U1G2RA - Disp. 358)
I’m so close to getting it running normal but can’t figure out the last part. I’ve replaced the fuel, fuel line, fuel filter, carb, air filter, readjusted the valves, spark plug, cleaned the valves and piston, replaced the head gasket, replaced the valve cover gasket and muffler gasket.
The problem I’m still having is when I start the engine with some choke it’s fine but once the choke runs out the engine starts to hunt and rev up and down as if it is going to stall and turn off but never does. At that point if I pull the choke quickly it’ll run nice and smooth again then the process will repeat. I don’t believe the governor has been altered and from other forum posts don’t believe that would be the problem but haven’t ruled it out as a possibility and I also know a sheared/worn/broken flywheel key could cause the hunting.
Before I go trying to find a way to get the flywheel off I wanted to see what my moves were before I do anything else. Also, I’ve had some difficulty finding videos or pics showing how to adjust the gov or replace the flywheel key which is also the reason for my outreach. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-16-18, 11:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
The problem is not the governor or flywheel key, it's the carburetor or gasket. It's either not getting enough fuel through the carb or it's getting air from a bad gasket between the carb and intake. Does this one have the carb with the plastic bowl? If so, replace the o-ring behind the main jet, that's the usual cause of this problem.

Old 10-16-18, 11:47 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I believe it is running too lean hints why the choke would smooth out the engine hunt. It is the plastic bowl type and I have replaced it with a whole new carb and bowl from Amazon. I even took both the old and new carbs apart and made sure there were no blockages and used a thin wire to double check the new one. In regards to the o-ring it is brand new with the new carb.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: