Craftsman Rider 917-258910 Motion Drive Belt

Old 11-08-18, 04:28 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Rider 917-258910 Motion Drive Belt

I need to change out the motion drive belt on this craftsman rider. Do I have to remove the electric clutch to change this belt ?? The owners manual does not mention it either way. This particular unit is an older one and has the idler pulleys running down the side of the tractor as opposed to down the center.

Old 11-08-18, 04:58 AM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
I don't think that I am familiar with what you have, but doubt that you need to remove the clutch. It seems that you should have an adjuster that allows you enough slack to get the belt over the clutch. But if the drive pulley is inboard of the clutch you might have to remove the mechanical stop, tang, or whatever you want to call it that prevents the clutch from rotating with the engine. If this is the case just be sure to put it back in place before firing the engine or you will end up having to remove and replace the clutch. Otherwise, if my assessment is wrong, which wouldn't be the first time, others will be along as well.

Old 11-08-18, 05:37 AM
J
thank you -- the mech stop is there. I wasnt sure if I could easily remove it. It looks like it has a square head.

Old 11-12-18, 01:25 PM
J
I ended up dropping the electric clutch and the belt went on the engine pulley pretty easy. Now I am trying to get the belt around the transaxle pulley and that is a real problem. I see the hole in the frame mentioned on another forum but cant figure our how to get in there with a bar to put the belt on the pulley. I removed the plate between the dash and the seat thinking that would help but it did not.

Old 11-16-18, 09:20 AM
J
Job is all finished. Tractor moves fine. The instructions in the sears manual are worthless. It leaves out many steps. Nest one could be much easier. I documented my steps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: