Remote Throttle control

Old 11-21-18, 03:28 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Remote Throttle control

I have a Selbro Max 40 walk behind blower with a 14hp Subaru engine. After the mfr warranty expired, i got too old to push this blower around, so I modified it and made a tow bar to pull it around with my Utility vehicle rather than push it. It did not come with any remote throttle control, you have to readh down and manually move the lever that controls the butterfly valve in the carburetor. there are fittings to mount a conventional throttle cable similar to most equipment that has to have one but I will need one about 10 feet long to reach from the Cart Seat all the way back to the blower. I found one at a company that distributes stuff to Autozone that might work (Dorman #55204) but just checking for other options. Kind of pricey (75.00) but worth it if it will hold up. I tried to get a drawing from Dorman but they could not supply one. My autozone will cover me if I have a problem but just checking with you guys....

Name:  dorman.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  43.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-21-18 at 11:58 PM. Reason: picture added
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-18, 03:40 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Do you run the throttle either wide open/idle or do you have to use intermediate positions?

If it's WO or idle, you could setup a wireless on a solenoid.

Old 11-21-18, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 242 Votes on 221 Posts
Search for VW and dune buggy suppliers. They use very long throttle cables to reach from the accelerator back to the carburetor in back (a la Beetle). I've purchased long throttle cables and throttle quadrants & verniers and they are surprisingly cheap.

Last edited by Pilot Dane; 11-21-18 at 06:41 PM. Reason: said VW, should have said Beetle
Old 11-22-18, 04:47 PM
I run it at variable speeds depending on how far I want to move the leaves from where they are. A lever type control (like on the handle of a rotary mower) would be ideal) It just has to be stronger than a mower due to the stiffness of the control at the Subaru Engine's carburetor. It has to be longer too, like ten feet. It would seem like a VW or dune buggy would have a throttle that was controlled with spring type return, and would increase or decrease with pressure. I want to be able to set a constant (but different) speed based on the lever position, and then let it go, Make sense?

Old 11-22-18, 05:03 PM
It would appear that the one in the photo would work with a creative mounting bracket on the dashboard end of it. If it has 75.00 dollars worth of toughness, I guess it will be worth it.

thanks for the photo!

Old 11-22-18, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
You're welcome. The part in the picture is a Dormant #55204.

Old 11-22-18, 07:07 PM
Another google search came up with a Dorman Item # 5200 (7' throttle control, push pull) I emailed their tech support to see if I can get THAT one in a ten foot length) Only 13 bucks for the 7 footer.

Old 11-23-18, 06:41 AM
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
Any cable beyond the pivot point between the blower and tractor will flex as the tractor turns making cable movement inside the sheath difficult. Cables also have a minimum bend radius before kinking. I would consider a threaded crank arrangement attached to the throttle, mounted on the blower. The thread would have to be coarse enough where 4-6 revolutions of the crank gave the range of throttle control needed. Hope this helps.

Old 11-23-18, 09:36 AM
10-4 on the pivot point but the object of the game is to keep me from having to get off the machine to change speed of the blower. I am 72 going on 100 and should be in a retirement center instead of fooling around with this stuff, but since family situations and lots of trees force me to be serious about leaves I adapt. for 15 dollars and being careful about changing speed (or not) while making a turn, will not be a big risk. I will let you whippersnappers know how it works out!

Old 12-08-18, 03:30 PM
Remote Throttle Control

The guys at Autozone came thru for me with an 8' Dorman unit (that was all I needed length wise and just 20 bucks.) I made a mount for the handle and bolted it to the seat back, which allowed me to get a shorter cable. I occassionally like to push the unit for short jobs so I went looking for a smaller cable to mount on the blower's handle. Got an OREGON unit from Jacks small engines for about 12 bucks that should work fine for that purpose. (Credit to Subaru Engines for making a great adjustable tension bolt arrangement for the throttle on the carburetor. i will be able to use two different cable diameters and lengths with a simple turn of a 10 MM nut that is easily accessable.

Last edited by WML13; 12-08-18 at 03:36 PM. Reason: verbage