Smoking mower after warms up?

Old 12-04-18, 06:25 PM
Smoking mower after warms up?

I recently got a mower that had sat for over 12 years. It runs great. Once the engine gets warmed up it starts to smoke. It doesnít smoke right at start up. Iím wanting to know that since it doesnít smoke right when started up and only smokes after warmed up could it be smoking due to me spraying pb blaster in it a few years ago? I havenít ran it for over 5 minutes at a time yet. Before sitting for years it did not smoke. It has been in a shed when it was sitting. Also, I let the oil drain over night and then filled it. Iíve ran it about 20 minutes total so far, the oil looks super clean still. Is that normal. Could the oil pump slinger possibly not be working. How can I know?

Thanks.

Itís an old John Deere 214 with a 14hp Kohler K321 engine.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-18, 06:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could be oil burning out of the exhaust, takes a short while to heat up the muffler and burn it off. Could be a stuck ring which may work loose with some use. Make sure the oil is not thin and doesn't smell like gas.

Old 12-04-18, 06:56 PM
What do you think about the clean oil?

Old 12-04-18, 06:59 PM
I put non detergent SAE 30 oil. Is that correct? Or should I use new SAE 30 oil?

Old 12-05-18, 04:08 AM
The Kohler K series manual that I have, which includes the 321, says to use detergent oil, preferably straight 30 weight. It also says that "10W-30 and 10W-40 are not recommended above 32 degrees F" and can "substantially increase oil consumption and combustion chamber deposits". So maybe it's the result of someone prior to use running multi-grade and the carbon will burn itself out after a bit.

Old 12-05-18, 05:12 AM
Thanks. I wish they updated it and said something about Synthetic oil. I would think 10w 30 synthetic oil should be ok right?