MTD Yard Man snowblower started and died

Old 12-14-18, 05:37 AM
C
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
MTD Yard Man snowblower started and died

I have a 10+ years old MTD Yard Man snowblower that I started for a minute or two then it dies. Here's the background. The drive cable was broken so tipped the snowblower forward on the auger shaft for a week or two while I'm ordering a new cable. After I put the new cable in, the snow blower started for a while and then it died. If tried several times, the snowblower will only last a couple of seconds. Troubleshooting suggestion is much appreciated.

Old 12-14-18, 05:50 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
My first concern is by you leaving it in that position for so long oil may have leaked by the rings into the combustion chamber.
Pull the plug and see if it's covered with oil.
Pulling the starter a few time with the plug out should flush most of it out, and replace the plug with a new one.
If it's not then you have a fuel issue.
Was the old fuel left in the tank over the off season?
When's the last time the carb. was removed and cleaned?

Old 12-14-18, 06:53 AM
C
Thank you for the response. After the fact, we know that the drips on the ground is the oil so yes, oil may have leaked by the rings into the combustion chamber. How do I verify that?

Pulling the starter a few time with the plug out should flush most of it out, and replace the plug with a new one.
Are you referring to removing the park plugs while pulling the starter? Will it do the same if I press the electric starter?

Was the old fuel left in the tank over the off season?
Yes but it was working fine before this incident.
When's the last time the carb. was removed and cleaned?
I don't it was ever removed and cleaned. Any good YouTube video that will show this is done?

Again, thank you so much for the help.

Old 12-14-18, 08:04 PM
C
Anyone know where I can find a new replacement carburetor for MTD Yardman model number 31AE553F401? I tried Amazon but I couldn't fine that will work with mine. If I can't find it, I will have to clean it myself it.

Old 12-15-18, 01:41 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 112 Upvotes on 97 Posts
would try searching amazon by using the engine model or carb number appears to have a Tecumseh engine if you can locate the model number on the engine may help find a carb for it.

Old 12-15-18, 04:18 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Once you have removed the spark plug, all you want to do is try to get it to spit out some of the excess oil, so hand cranking as Joe said is fine, but you can hit the starter a couple of times if that's your preference. As far as looking for a carburetor or kit, I agree with searching by the engine number rather than the machine number. You'll probably need a flashlight and your reading glasses if applicable, but start by looking for a tag on the engine blower housing.

Old 12-15-18, 05:50 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/ja...l-locator.aspx
I rearly rebuild small engine carbs anymore, if I have the OEM part number I can buy an aftermarket brand new one on Ebay for almost the same price as a rebuild kit and it's far faster to do.
I just bought one that likely would fit on your engine for $10.30 with free shipping.
There's lots of post on this and any DIY site asking which fuel line goes where, and which hole does the governor and throttle spring go in, take pictures with your phone, make a drawing before taking anything apart!

Old 12-15-18, 08:16 AM
C
This is my manual for model number 31AE553F401 but I couldn't find the engine model number on the actual machine. I'm not sure where it's located.

Old 12-15-18, 11:41 AM
C
Okay, I found the engine model number. Okay, so to clean the combustion chamber, where is it located?

Old 12-15-18, 12:16 PM
A
The combustion chamber is the area at the top of the cylinder where the spark plug threads into and combustion takes place. You're not going to get in there to actually wipe it out or anything like that, and it's not something that you would typically be concerned with, but the reason that Joe suggested it in this case is that you mentioned having the engine tipped in an abnormal angle for an extended period of time. In that position, oil from the crankcase could get past the rings and into the area where gas and air are mixed and burned. Hence the suggestion of removing the spark plug and turning the engine over a few times to hopefully spit out any excess oil that was trapped up there.

Old 12-15-18, 05:28 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Your fix is much easier than you think, the bowl nut is the main jet on this carb, there are several holes in it one down the center, one across the bottom and a very tiny hole near the top of the threads the tiny hole is the problem I clean it with the wire from a twist tie. Clean all the holes and you are good to go. Have a good one. Geo
Check the pic in the link below.

Tec Bow Nut Photo by geogrubb | Photobucket

Old 12-17-18, 10:13 AM
C
aka_pedro, thanks for the explanation.

geogrubb, thanks for pointing that out. I just ordered a new carburetor so hopefully it works. I was going to clean it myself but it looks pretty dirty and for about $13, I might as well get a new one. It'll be here today so I'll let you guys know once I installed it.

Many thanks for all the responses.

Old 12-17-18, 02:46 PM
C
So I the new carburetor arrived and it does not have this little screw with a spring in there. The original that came with the snowblower has this little screw with a spring. Is this require? I also saw some carburetor that have an adjustable screw underneath it too. So, as long as the description says that it's compatible with Tecumseh HMSK90, can I use it?

Name:  bowl.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  20.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-30-19 at 04:57 PM. Reason: resized picture
Old 12-17-18, 03:28 PM
A
I don't recall seeing a bowl with that, but would assume it's a drain, so think you're fine. Take that center bolt out, the bowl should come loose, and you can see if it's anything magical.

Old 12-18-18, 03:39 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, it is a drain -- you are fine

Old 12-18-18, 05:43 AM
C
So, it's okay to not have the drain? Which is better?
  1. without drain
  2. with drain
  3. with drain and adjustable bowl nut

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: