Craftsman leaf blower needs tuned

Old 12-22-18, 04:09 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman leaf blower needs tuned

Model 358.794961 Craftsman 205 mph blower...
Thing's about 10 years old and finally quit. I went ahead and put on a new carburetor, fuel lines and filter, new plug, new plug plug-in thingy that makes the spark plug work(arrestor?), piston ring, cleaned the piston, and new muffler. It runs but only about halfway, at full throttle, and spits gas out the carb and smokes the exhaust slightly. I have read about and played with the high and low setting carburetor adjustments and just cannot seem to get it to run right. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-18, 05:37 PM
M
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Turn both the "H" and "L" screws in until lightly seated then out 1 1/2 turns. Then play with the "L" screw to get it to throttle up quickly. Let us know how that worked.

Old 12-22-18, 05:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 19 Posts
If adjusting the screws as marbobj suggests doesn't solve the problem, take the muffler off and look at the exhaust port... is it caked up with carbon? Sounds like an exhaust restriction to me if it's not the carb.

Old 12-23-18, 11:25 AM
T
So should I have it set a low throttle when I adjust the L screw and at high throttle when I adjust the H screw? That was the impression I was under.

Old 12-23-18, 11:35 AM
T
I will check the port. It's a new muffler and that helped. The port looked pretty good but I'll clean it and get back with y'all later. Thanks.

Old 12-23-18, 11:42 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Did you see any scratches in the piston ?no matter how large or small. Forget it its not worth putting money into it.Did the same thing with 2 leave blowers and 2 trimmers. Shop near by says; ALWAYS BE CAREFUL when mixing the gas properly And ALWAYS SHAKE THE GAS CAN and Any 2-cycle tools before use.Oil thins out from setting

and settles in tank.Pure gas isn't good for the motor --as cheaply as they are made now.hth

ps almost forgot- i lost A great small chainsaw this way also good luck bob s

Sorry! i was a little blunt--in my answer. I was just getting tired of not knowing what i needed to do. Sure did learn atough lesson though.

Last edited by bsa_bob2; 12-23-18 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-23-18, 12:08 PM
A
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
yes the L screw is usually adjusted at low speed like at idle I usually find the highest rpm and go slightly richer about 1/8 to 1/4 turn more, H screw is set at full speed you also want it to be slightly rich to provide enough lubrication to the engine you can do a similar adjustment to it but often using tachometer is usually more accurate, but you should be able to get close by the way it sounds you do not want your high speed to be to lean though.

Old 12-23-18, 01:23 PM
T
Exhaust port is clean. Was very careful to not scratch the piston. There is no difference in running half throttle or full throttle and the H adjustment screw does nothing even with major adjustment. The gas spraying out of the carburetor is ridiculous. I'm thinking, ladies and gentlemen, that maybe I got a bad carburetor from the Repair Clinic.

Old 12-23-18, 01:28 PM
T
I always shake my fuel can, and the fuel works fine in all my other tools. That's why I'm just completely stumped. It starts great, sounds good etcetera, just no difference in half and full throttle and the fuel misting out of the choke side is very heavy. I appreciate the input from all.

Old 12-23-18, 02:11 PM
A
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
most 2 strokes have a spark arrestor screen on the exhaust or muffler common area for them to plug up at, if it is a new muffler I would not expect it to be plugged though may want to check it though.

Old 12-23-18, 02:49 PM
G
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
While it is running spray/dribble carb/brake parts cleaner behind the carb and along all mating surfaces if the engine tempo changes you have an air leak and can take the appropriate action. Have a good one. Geo

Old 12-23-18, 06:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 19 Posts
Any chance you have the fuel lines connected backwards?

Old 12-24-18, 07:36 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
this one is easy to do! been there.

Old 12-24-18, 10:00 AM
T
Lol, yeah I've done that and learned my lesson! I've heard of that screen and don't quite know what it is or where it would be. I'll check the air leak. I was wondering if it was the little manifold between the carb and motor so i examined it and still kinda not sure about it. Thanks again!

Old 02-03-19, 11:36 AM
T
Solved

Well ladies and gents, i had bought a faulty carb. Put the new one on, runs like new. Thanks again

Old 02-03-19, 11:40 AM
T
With the new spark solenoid and piston ring of course