Duromax XP4850EH Generator Spark Plug Issue?

Old 12-28-18, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Duromax XP4850EH Generator Spark Plug Issue?

So I recently received one of these as a gift and thought I would change the spark plug to a NGK BPR7ES Problem is, the generator started just fine with that plug two days ago, but today it would not no matter how many times I pulled the cord or pressed the button. Couldn't get anything from the engine at all. I thought maybe the engine just died outta nowhere. I put the original F7RTC back in today and finally got the thing to start. It's still running right now.

What is the problem? NGK are suppose to be good plugs. Why would it start the first day, but not the next? Also, the manual calls for F6RTC/BPR6ES. Why is an F7 in the engine?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-18, 12:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 20 Votes on 17 Posts
People love NGK plugs and they may be fine for boats or motorcycles or cars, but I really dislike them. This is a common problem with them in my experience. I don't put NGK plugs in any small engine unless that's what the customer provides and wants. Too many weird issues like this. There is a long thread here about honda mowers that start and run for a couple seconds and shut off. Many people with that problem, all due to the NGK plugs they come with. Use autolite or champion cheap copper plugs.

Old 12-29-18, 06:07 PM
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
Hopefully you also got the owner's manual with the gift. It will list the correct plug.

Old 12-29-18, 11:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
I had bought an NGK plug for my backpack blower. It was dead shorted brand new out of the box.

Here's the manual for your new gift in case you didn't get it. Surprisingly..... they give an NGK number as replacement.

XP4850EH owners manual (pdf)

Old 12-30-18, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Today I tested the original F7RTC again and a Champion RN11YC I had laying around. Starts every time. So strange. I've used NGK in other small engines before and never had this problem. Oh, well. I'll just leave the F7 in for now since I know it works and maybe test it later with a Champion.

Old 12-30-18, 11:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 20 Votes on 17 Posts
Funny thing is, you can probably pull the plug and test it for spark and it will probably spark. I don't know what it is about them, but I have gotten to the point when I am working on one and it doesn't make sense, I'll think to myself, "I bet there's a NGK plug in it" and pull it out. Quite often that's the culprit.