Honda mower engine won't run

Old 01-05-19, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Honda mower engine won't run

Honda self-propelled lawnmower powered by Honda GCV-150 engine.
Engine is a Honda 160cc 4-stroke vertical shaft rated at 4.4HP @ 3,600 rpm.

I was mowing the front yard when suddenly it belched a big cloud of smoke (from the smell musta been motor oil) and quit. When I looked at the mower, there was oil around the muffler outlet and spattered on the right side of the mower body. I tried to start it but no dice. It also seemed VERY easy to pull the start rope. The engine is easy to start but there is almost no resistance. The mower is approx. 3 years old. Other than not liking old gas it hasn't given me a minute's trouble.

It doesn't feel like it's got any compression. But I have NO expertise with small engines so I'm outta my depth here. Most likely I'll take it to a repair place but I wanted the thoughts of the folks here upon what failed so I'm at least somewhat knowledgeable about the real problem. I'm old and some people like to take advantage of seniors. I'd fix the thing myself but I don't think I have the tools to break an engine down; plus my arms aren't as strong nor my hands as steady as they once were. Gettin old ain't for the faint of heart.

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can give an old man.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-19, 05:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 208 Posts
So, is the engine running or not? You said "The engine is easy to start..."

Did you hit anything with the mower to cause the engine to suddenly stop?

If it's not running have you looked at the engine case? Is it cracked or is there a hole poked though? Remove the spark plug and look in the hole or insert a pencil. Push in the pencil until it touches the top of the piston. Pull the starter cord slowly. With the pencil can you feel the piston moving up and down? If not I would guess the connecting rod broke.

Old 01-06-19, 11:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
Sure sounds like a broken connecting rod and a hole in the block.

Old 01-07-19, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Update

Okay. It was my wife who was mowing (didn't want to wait on me). She said it started OK then started smoking shortly afterward. It ran about 4-5 feet and quit and wouldn't start again.

@Pilot Dane, it will not start. When I mentioned that it used to be easy to start and fairly easy to pull I did not mean to cause confusion.

I looked at the engine case (block?) 360 degrees and there is no sign of any damage showing. The only oil visible is in/around the exhaust pipe and on the deck on the side where the exhaust/muffler is.

Per @Pilot Dane I removed the spark plug and stuck a pencil in the hole. Then I - slowly and carefully - pulled the starter rope until the pencil was as far in as it would go. then I pulled the starter rope again and the pencil came out of the hole. I ran the piston back to as close to bottom of stroke as possible and stuck the pencil all the way in again (the stroke is only 2 inches so the pencil didn't move all that much. Finally I gave the starter rope a hard tug and the pencil fairly "flew" out of the hole and landed over a foot away.

I think it is safe to say that the piston-rod-insert assembly is intact and the piston IS travelling up and down in the cylinder. Anybody have any ideas? I am clean out.

Old 01-07-19, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 208 Posts
That's good news and means the engine is probably worth repairing.

It would help to find the exact source of the oil leak if you can. Is it coming out of the exhaust? Is it coming from the valve cover? Did oil breather hose come loose? It's on the other side of the engine but look at the governor shaft where it exits the engine case and see if the oil is coming from there.

Have you recently done any work on the engine like change the oil? Check the oil level in the engine. Is it over filled? Does it smell like gasoline?