Kohler Command 20 Shuts down

Old 01-11-19, 01:28 PM
Angry Kohler Command 20 Shuts down

Hello all! I have an issue with my Kohler Command 20. It is installed in my carpet cleaning van. The other day it died after about 40 minutes of running. I tried to start it but it would barely crank. I happen to have an extra battery so i installed that and it once again ran fine for about an hour or so and then died. Same thing. I replaced the rectifier/regulator. It worked great for a couple of days. Today however it died and would barely turn over.

I do not have a digital multimeter however the battery (marine 12 volt) is still charged but it is down to around 10-11 volts.

Any ideas? Could it be the stator that needs replaced?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-19, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
How do you know your battery is 10-11 volts without a meter?

10-11 volts is not charged. It's dead. A fully charged battery should be about 12.7 volts. I would do some investigating into your charging system. I suspect it's not working.

Old 01-11-19, 03:38 PM
The ignition doesn't have the battery/charging system in it. That's all separate.

But you do have a fuel solenoid on it. That would kill it with no current. That brings you back to having a charging system working. But that solenoid shouldn't drag down a fully charged battery too fast.

Old 01-11-19, 04:20 PM
Welcome. I'm confused too as to how you know the voltage without having a meter. So, first things first, you're in a business and you have equipment to maintain, so go to your local hardware or big box and buy an analog volt-ohm meter. You don't need a digital one, and in fact for precise readings I'll take an analog over digital around 90% of the time, and there are a variety of inexpensive ones out there. Maybe not what a seasoned professional chooses as a front line tool, but Garner Bender for example is available at a lot of hardware stores. Do you have a battery charger? If so, I would start by charging the battery, then take it to your local auto parts store and ask them to load test it. While indispensable for trouble shooting, a volt meter is not the way to check a battery because you need to put a load on it to get an accurate assessment. While I too suspect a charging system problem, a bad battery can sometimes be deceptive, so I would eliminate that possibility before diving any deeper.