Snowblower throw issue help needed

Old 02-07-19, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Snowblower throw issue help needed

Hello,
I have an MTD OEM-190-032-101 snowblower attachment on my cub cadet riding lawn mower.

I was out blowing this morning and after about 3 passes the ejecting of the snow began to weaken considerably to the point it would not eject it at all any longer. I can see the auger up front still spinning but i am not sure if the ejector stops even though the auger is morning and that is what is causing my problem or what. I would assume if one works the other should too.

About 3 weeks ago i had an issue too where a bolt holding a pulley against the right angle drive is attached broke or came apart and was lost. I got a new one and fixed this which helped and I thought all was good.

I did shut down the machine and have a look trying to manually move the belt on the underside and when I did the auger and the ejection mechanism looked as though they were moving so I assume it is all working.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-19, 12:45 PM
I just went out and tried it again. It seemed as though the pto would continue to spin even though the auger would then quit.

Could it be that the belt is stretched or something? The belt is pretty new but i suppose this is always a possibility.

Old 02-07-19, 12:57 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Probably not a stretched belt. More likely either the belt tensioner is not doing its job or a shear pin is broken.

Old 02-07-19, 01:39 PM
If it were a shear pin it wouldn't spin really at all would it or if i tried to manually move things would it move? Trying to confirm if this is it or not vs the belt tensioner? Also, if i put a different spring on the tensioner might that be a way?

Old 02-07-19, 04:41 PM
Does the auger stop turning or just the blower that ejects the snow?

With the blower engaged and the engine turned off, see if you can turn the blower blades, noting if the drive pulley is turning as well. If the pulley is turning, the belt tensioner is likely the problem.

If you can, post a picture of the blower, front and rear.

Old 02-08-19, 06:18 AM
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
The drive shaft for the impeller (throws the snow) also drives the gear box (at the center of the auger) for the auger (forces the snow into the impeller). To find what is broken, have someone turn the input pulley (belt tension released) and observe the motion of the impeller and auger. If the impeller doesn't turn, the hardware (usually a roll pin) connecting the impeller to the drive shaft is broken. Some disassembly is required to gain access and replace the hardware. If the auger (6 sections, 3 each side of the gear box) don't rotate, the problem is the gear box is damaged or all 6 shear bolts (1 per auger section) are sheared. The shear pin can be replaced without disassembly unless the part of the shear pin in the auger drive shaft can' t be driven out. If you can spin only some of the auger sections, it's shear pin is sheared and need to be replaced. Some disassembly is required to repair/replace the gear box.

Old 02-09-19, 01:41 PM
Thank you both for the response. When I take the belt off and spin the pulley on the blower it does move both the auger and impeller. Does this help?

When i initially posted this the first few passes with the blower went decent. I think i have seen it work better ejecting the snow but i was not concerned. by about the third pass the snow would not eject at all any longer. i had my son drive it and i observe after the snow was clear. he would hit about 3 inches of snow and the auger would struggle to spin and i would notice this underneath too that belt driving it seemed to stall out. It was difficult to tell but it seemed the mechanism on the tractor itself to turn the belt was still working however. It was difficult to tell if the belt was just slipping over the pulley that drives it from the tractor or if there is some sort of slipper(not sure on correct verbiage) mechanism or something.

So if it is the tension belt what do you do to address this as it seems like a simple device? Maybe you are thinking it might be spring?

Here are a few pics. Not sure how much help they will be since i have to reduce them a bit to get them to upload. let me know if you need others to aid. Thanks for the help.

Name:  20190209_142431.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  911.8 KB

Name:  20190209_142012.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  842.7 KB

Name:  20190209_142007.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  905.2 KB

Old 02-09-19, 02:52 PM
From what's moving with the belt off the drive pulley, the belt is slipping and the problem is not a shear pin. . With a good belt and pulleys the problem would be the tensioner. That could be the spring.

However, if the pulleys are worn the V belt could be bottoming out and can't drive off the sides of the belt. That would cause a slip. The closest pulley in the second picture appears to allow the belt too deep. You could try some belt grip from an auto parts store or use a home remedy of Karo syrup on the belt. Either may give the pulleys enough grip on the belt to make it work.
Other fixes would be changing the drive pulley or using a slightly wider belt. That also looks like a Kevlar type belt There are other types that may give you a better grip.

Last edited by marbobj; 02-09-19 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-11-19, 06:23 AM
Thanks again for the reply.

The Karo syrup idea is interesting. How do you apply this to the belt?

The belt i believe is a 1/2" current and you are right it is a kevlar belt. what size would you recommend? Last, what other types might be better with less slip?

Old 02-11-19, 07:18 AM
I've used a Kevlar type on a rider Wheelhorse and never got the life or performance out of them. I went back to the OEM Wheelhorse belt. It's more of a standard belt with exposed rubber on the sides.

In farming, we used Karo syrup on grain auger belts to keep them from slipping. It's just a matter of coating the belt with a cloth. It's nothing too technical, pretty much just home remedy.

Old 02-11-19, 08:55 AM
Having gone through the available belts it looks like the belt you have is the OEM type of belt and pretty common in that application.

You need a 1/2 x 105. If you go to a variation of size in standard you're up to 21/32 and too wide for your pulleys. Going to a 13MM metric puts you in a different set of pulleys and creates a gray area in the application.

There is a cheaper priced cog faced belt in your size but you have an idler (tensioner bending the belt from the back side which isn't a good application for that belt.

For the best thing to do, I would suggest checking the tensioner for movement and the spring on it to make sure it's tightening the belt. Also check the belt to make sure it's a 105 in length.

With everything in order and still slipping, I would change the drive pulley.