Spray for snow blower chute

Old 02-12-19, 02:53 PM
N
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Spray for snow blower chute

What, if anything, do you guys spray on your snow blower chutes to prevent snow from sticking? I've tried one or two of the 'snow jet' type products, but it only works so-so. Is there a specific product that works better (i.e. a regular teflon spray or something)?

Thank you

Old 02-12-19, 03:00 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I quit buying blowers with plastic chutes and the problem went away on its own. I've heard cooking spray (Pam) works but never tried it myself.

Old 02-12-19, 03:06 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
None of the sprays will work without renewing it every time you use the blower. If you want something that will last perhaps several times, then you need to use a quality car wax. Think about it. What makes the surface of the blower any different than the surface of your car. Other than it takes a beating by comparison. I don't know of any spray or wax that can withstand the snow being driven with force into the shoot.

I live in Western New York. We have every type of snow you can think of. Sometimes it sticks to the shoot and other times it does not. If I think of it I'll any silicon spray on hand. It helps for that one session only. Next time you need to do it again.

edit... I never tried a Teflon application. But for it to work, it would need to be baked on at the factory. And why don't hey do that? Drives up the cost!

Old 02-12-19, 03:30 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I've used snow blower spray, Pam and silicone. I think the snow blower spray works the best but I don't get snow often enough to say definetely. I spray my blower after it's dried off and before I put it away. That way it's ready to go the next time I need it.

Old 02-12-19, 03:38 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
And that is about as good as you can do or expect. Some people say that the silicon spray needs to dry for several hours for it to be effective. I don't see a difference one way or the other.

Old 02-13-19, 05:23 AM
N
Thanks guys. That's been my experience as well, just wanted to see if there was anything better out there (I guess not...).

Thanks again.

Old 02-13-19, 07:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I first used ski wax and it worked but it was such a PITA to apply that I soon switched back to spray.

Old 02-14-19, 05:52 AM
M
Having grown up in Western NY, I'm familiar with the snow Norm is talking about. The best solution I had while living there, was to use Johnsons Floor PasteWax. It had to be applied with the chute at room temperature and allowed to dry before being buffed. It would last about halfway through the season(five months long!)before having to be reapplied. Now, I just use the spray each time before using it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: