Briggs & Stratton ignition, round two

Old 03-02-19, 08:29 AM
Received 64 Votes on 59 Posts
Briggs & Stratton ignition, round two

It's a Vanguard V twin, model 294447, on a generator. I posted earlier this week about it not starting, got good advice on bad diodes in the coil wiring harness, checked them with an ohmmeter, confirmed they were bad, replaced the harness, and it runs great. Thank you.

Now the problem is that it won't shut off, so here's what I know so far. There is a yellow wire from the coil harness, which I traced back to the switch. With the switch in the OFF position, this yellow wire connects to a green ground wire, which makes sense so far. The problem is that this green ground wire is connected to the generator grounds, which are isolated from the frame, hence it is not grounding the ignition. What am I missing?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-19, 08:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Look around where you worked. Someplace the ground is not connected. Could move yellow to engine ground.

Old 03-02-19, 08:42 AM
Yup, think you're right on. Just came back in to say scratch it for right now. I walked back down to the shop, gave a light tug on a ground wire between the engine and frame that I forgot was there, and it tore in half in my hand. I'll replace that and report back, but pretty certain that's it. Another of those stupid moments.

Old 03-02-19, 12:07 PM
We're good to go now. Replaced the ground wire and everything is as it should be.