Toro walk behind starter problem

Old 03-05-19, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toro walk behind starter problem

My moms 22" Toro self propelled has electric start and a TXP 159cc engine. The switches work properly and the battery has 12.75 volts even after some cranking. When it doesn't work I tap it and it spins and engages. I got her a small rider, so I want to get it working and sell it. I don't want to buy a starter. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-19, 07:53 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The starter itself is what you're working on or the engine isn't starting after the starter spins it?

As far as the starter:

You can take it apart and clean it. The brushes in the starter aren't contacting the armature. When you tap it they shake loose. If they're excessively worn you would need to replace them.

Old 03-05-19, 10:56 AM
The starter is the problem.
I took apart the starter and found the brushes were sticking in the holders, because of corrosion. I did my best to clean the rust off the holders. But I don't know how to reassemble. The brush holder ring mounts to a solid cap, the positive brushes are fastened to the cap. So using a socket or anything else, then mounting the cap after won't work. Any suggestions?

Old 03-05-19, 08:23 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Toro Walk Behind Starter

Could you post your model and serial #?

Old 03-06-19, 12:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 21 Votes on 18 Posts
Some starters have holes in the brush end cap that you can stick paperclips in to hold the brush in the compressed position long enough to install it back on the armature. The ones that don't can be tricky. I usually set the armature on them and pull them back into their holders one at a time and the armature drops a little for each one and holds it while you compress the next until they are all in place. Then I put the outer case on and the top cover and bendix.

Old 03-06-19, 06:30 AM
Toro Recycler 22

I got the starter back together, works fine. Mower runs good until warm, then I think the automatic choke screws things up. It may have something to do with the air temp of 10. It has an auto throttle too. The engine is TXP 159cc ohv. The choke is also adjusted by some thing affected by air around the fly wheel.