Looking for a new weed wacker

Old 05-25-19, 05:16 AM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question Looking for a new weed wacker

had enough- sears weed whackers'. In your qualified [previous weed trimmer purchases], I am considering; huskvarna? My blower is this brand~~ like it well ..............or maybe a sthil What do you think. please gas is what i want unless electricis the way people are going on these weed whackers please chime in and thanks for the help bob s

Old 05-25-19, 05:50 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
My choice would be a Husqvarna straight shaft.

Old 05-25-19, 05:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Husqvarna and Stihl are both very good brands and either one would be my go to for outdoor gas power equipment.

Do you have any cordless tools now? I have recently bought a black and yellow cordless chain saw (20v) and hedge trimmer and like them a lot. I would defiantly consider a battery weed wacker if I didn't live on 4 acres since I already have many cordless batteries that I can share between tools.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 05-25-19 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-25-19, 06:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
I have a Kobalt 40v lithium-ion cordless that I am in LOVE with. Originally bought it for our daughter's new house several years ago. She now has a lawn service, so I inherited it back. I will NEVER own another gas weed-eater. Not for everyone, I'm sure, but it works for me.

Old 05-25-19, 06:08 AM
B
Whats"strait shaft" why?? not knowing,

Old 05-25-19, 07:00 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I have to agree that gas yard products are powerful & depends on your needs & use.

However, when my wife & I got married, she had a Weedeater brand trimmer & blower. After a period of time, it got to the point she couldnt crank it at all. Eventually, It got to where I couldnt crank it. Pull & pull & pull on those things. They were always messy with gas & oil.
She decided she wanted to get away from the gas ones & get a battery powered trimmer & blower. I tried my best to talk her out of it but, being the woman she is, she was determined to have battery powered & get rid of the gas/oil mix equipment. After putting her off for a couple of years & the trimmer finally got to where I couldnt get it cranked after pulling & pulling, I reluctantly decided to get her a 18V trimmer form Home Depot. In all honesty, although I didnt think it was going to work well, I was tired of the 2 cycle gas & oil mix process & equipment.

I have to admit, the trimmer really fooled me when we got it. I was impressed with its performance. We soon after, bought a matching blower. Now 4 years later, we have a trimmer, blower, hedge trimmer, pole saw & a sander. I am well pleased with all of them. We just got the pole saw this year & again, after much discussion with my wife on this, she was set on the battery powered pole saw... not gas. Again, as with all the other equipment, I am impressed. The only piece I am not happy with is the hedge trimmer. It just wont cut the bigger stems on hedges. Otherwise, I wont be going back to a 2 cycle & mixing gas & oil.
I'll also note that when we bought a piece of equipment, we bought them with a battery & charger. Now we have 5 batteries for any job we have.

I'll note, since a couple of others have, I live on 5 acres with about 15 mature hickory & oak trees in my back yard. Otherwise, my property is outlined with various trees & brush that we are working on cleaning up.
Again, as others have mentioned, its all about individual preference & your needs.

Old 05-25-19, 07:17 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So I get the concept of electric but like you I have acreage so maybe for a small suburban setting they would be acceptable but when I'm workin way back in the woods I'm not going to deal with batteries.

That said, I used to own Stihl, gave up on them due to high repair costs and not being able to buy parts anywhere but dealers.

My choice now is Echo, my blower lasted 18 years and was used nearly dailey.

Old 05-25-19, 07:48 AM
B
Again! why buy the straitshaft weeed whacker,whats the benefits to this. ooooohhhh you mean the bend in the shaft those are good for bushes etc??????aren't they easier to use? yes --no thanks bob s

Old 05-25-19, 09:56 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Straight shaft is longer and reaches the ground without bending your back. Works for me.

Old 05-25-19, 04:03 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
I lean towards Echo with a bump head.

Old 05-25-19, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Red max all the way!!!!!!!

Old 05-25-19, 07:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
If it was my money, it would be an Echo.

Old 05-26-19, 04:16 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Straight shafts are just an upper level feature, and don't buy the entry level of any brand, they are there for the price point, and are way underpowered!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: