Toro or John Deere SMALL riding mower

Old 05-30-19, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toro or John Deere SMALL riding mower

Hi All,

I have a 1/2 acre of mowing to do. Front and back. Takes about 1 1/2 hrs to get it all done. After using the self propelled assist Honda push mower, my hands are vibrating something fierce. Im 50 yrs old.
Kids are young, 10 and 8. Too young to use a power mower. So im looking at some used riding mowers.
Now, im hampered by a 36" max gate opening between the front and backyard.
So im looking small deck. Found a 30" JD, old metal model GX70. Needs a module. Plus some TLC, the plastic body is broken on the left side. Pull start only.
Toro 8-25 Wheel Horse. Full metal body, no rust. Looks very well maintained. But, looooong distance away AND it seems parts are kinda hard to find.
The Toro is much smaller and easier to park in shed. Much better shape. But the lack of spare parts is worrisome. The JD will barely fit thru my gate (Its 35" overall width) and the guy wants almost the same money as the Toro.
So, in a nutshell im looking for thoughts.
Cheers,
Chet

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-19, 12:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
I have a JD 125 that I've had since 2005. Its been a good mower. Very little work has been required on this mower. I would not hesitate to buy another one.
While personally, generally speaking, I'd buy a JD over a Toro, it doesnt mean I'd buy this specific used GX70 over this used Toro. Used is used.... you gotta make that decision on your own after giving the mower(s) a once over.

Good luck......

Old 05-30-19, 03:55 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
If it were me, I'd think about replacing the gate and enlarging it so I wouldn't be so limited by mower size. I've got 3/4 acre and it takes 2 hours with a 38" riding mower.

Dixie2012 voted this post useful.
Old 05-30-19, 06:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 19 Posts
Yeah, widening the gate would open you up for so many more options. The old John Deere GX mowers were very well built. They had a small Kawasaki engine that pretty much never gave trouble other than an occasional igniter module going bad every 10 or 20 years. I'd go for the Deere, given the choice.

Old 05-31-19, 05:26 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
BTW, I know next to nothing about riding mowers, but mine is a circa 1989ish Deere STX38 that I inherited from my father. Spent a few bucks to fix it up after years of non-use but runs well. Elderly neighbor across the street just this year retired his 1964 Deere that he bought new!

Old 06-02-19, 04:15 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Riding Mower Purchase

I inherited a farm several years ago, and had 2 acres of turf to mow with two Toro riders and one Simplicity Tractor. I wore out the engines on all three of those mowers two or three times. I rebuilt all of them myself, and they all still run and mow fine, The 1986 Toro is an 8-32 with a Briggs Engine, the 1989 Toro is a HMR 1600 with a 16 hp Kohler. The Simplicity is a 7010 Landlord with a 12 hp Kohler I had to rebuild the manual Transmissions too at least once on both mowers but other than that I will probably die with the Toros and the Simplicity, which I use primarily for snow. I had had to choose between a Toro and a Deere, I would take the Toro, based on experience with ease of service I have experienced between the two.