Simplicity brake pedal doesn't work

Old 06-01-19, 09:19 AM
E
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Simplicity brake pedal doesn't work

I have a 2006 Simplicity Legacy 27hp tractor with a front end loader. To start it I must push in the brake pedal then turn the key on. I was using it this morning with no problem until something happened to the brake pedal and I cannot turn it on anymore. There is no resistance when I depress the pedal as if something came loose. Can anyone give me some suggestions how to get it to engage again? Thank you.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-19, 09:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I don't know anything specific to your tractor but I'd run the pedal linkage down to see if it came disconnected. Sounds like there is a safety switch that's either part of the linkage or engaged by the pedal itself so that would be another thing to check out.

Old 06-01-19, 10:45 AM
E
Thank you for those suggestions. The pedal linkage itself goes into a box underneath and so far I haven't been able to see anything. Somehow I must get up under it and see if I see anything amiss. A friend also suggested that there might be two wires that I could 'jump' together and that might work. I wish I could see underneath a bit better.

Old 06-01-19, 01:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 41 Posts
Even if you jumped the safety switch wires, you still have lost the connection from the pedal to the mechanism. The only way to know what came loose is to look under there and see.

Old 06-01-19, 06:16 PM
E
Thank you. I looked under it and I can't see what's wrong. I know it goes into a box perhaps something is wrong inside it. I don't know yet.

Old 06-02-19, 07:05 AM
E
Brake pedal

This morning I was able to remove the screen to be able to get to the pedal and I was able to pull the pedal out from the tractor. It looks like a pin that connects the pedal to whatever has broken and the pedal no longer engages the mechanism inside the gear box (or whatever it is). Does anyone know what is my next step? I don't believe the pedal goes through that box and disconnected on the other side of it, but I don't know for sure. It seems to me that the shaft from the pedal connects inside that box and I'm not sure how to open that up. Thanks.

Rich

Old 06-02-19, 08:42 AM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
Whenever I run into something like this, not being able to see exactly how something is routed or whatever, the first thing I do is go to the manufacturer's website, simplicitymfg.com in this case, then to the "support" section, and see if I can access the parts breakdowns for what I'm working on. In my experience, the generic name, "Legacy" for example, seldom if ever gets you any place, but someplace on the machine you will find a tag with your specific model and serial number. You won't find anything that specifically tells you how to fix it, but a parts breakdown can be very helpful. And no, I didn't grow up with computers either, but you're obviously able to navigate this site, so I'm sure you can find the breakdowns. If you get to that point and are unable to open or download the .pdf files, post the model and serial number from that tag and maybe someone here can help you.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 06-03-19, 03:39 AM
E
Thank you for that info and thank you for that website. I did find the problem and fixed it and the tractor is back running. A pin that connected the brake pedal to a rod had broken and all that had to be done was insert another pin. What a relief! Thanks to all again.