Briggs and Stratton L Head - Low Compression

Old 06-18-19, 05:55 PM
Briggs and Stratton L Head - Low Compression

Hi All,

I was hoping that someone having experience in repairing B&S L Head Engines could provide on insight on my issue, before I decide to just scrap this engine for parts.

I have a Husky Pressure Washer with a B&G L Head Engine. The Engine Model is the 10L902-0010. Pretty much a standard B&L L Head Engine. The cylinder is low on compression, around 80psi. It runs very, very rough......not to the point that it stalls, but very poorly. Changed plugs and still did not resolve.

Background Info - Purchased for $25 at a local online swap sale. Ran ok for about 5 min, discovered it needed a new pump. Purchased for around $70. Purchased new carb (kit w/ diaphragm and all), new air filter, sparkplug, and fresh engine oil. Started running funny, realized sparkplug hole was stripped. I definitely did not do this, so purchased another head on Ebay for $10. Inspected cylinder and seemed ok. No knicks or pitting. Piston looked ok with normal carbon buildup. Intake manifold looks ok. Did not disassemble, but no signs of cracking.

The head gasket looked ok, but not sure how to tell if its 100% ok? Wondering if this is the main issue? I see they are very inexpensive, around $5 on Ebay. I'm definitely willing to take the risk for that amount.

I don't have any sort of leakdown testers, so I won't be able to tell where the air is coming in at? I'm thinking its got to be sucking air somewhere.

I don't mind taking the head off again if someone needs to see a picture of the head gasket.

Any suggestions on where else the problem is? Or am I right and thinking the head gasket is not ok?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-19, 08:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good chance the carburetor diaphragm is bad. Common problem on that engine. The head gasket often breaks up/pulls apart when you remove the head, so it might be damaged beyone use now, or might not be.

Old 06-19-19, 05:15 AM
Cheese,

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned, this is a brand new carburetor. I purchased the kit which included a brand new diaphragm as well. Considering the compression is only 80psi in the cylinder, I don't think its the carb.

I guess its a question of how much time/money to put into this. The typical process of elimination trying to figure out what the issue is before I scrap it. I didn't have to tear the old head gasket off, which is why I thought it looked ok.

Old 06-19-19, 07:00 AM
A compression test on a small engine with the common compression relief feature, will not yield true compression readings. In that case, 80 psi sounds good to me. Ignore your compression reading and then measure the valve lash. Valve adjustment will be more meaningful if you suspect leakage, especially in used equipment. You said it ran good for the first 5 minutes, before you performed the tune up.

Old 06-19-19, 07:29 AM
Airmark,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it seemed to run ok for the first 5 minutes (or less) when I first fired up after I installed new carb. Obviously, something happened after.........possibly because of the lack of maintenance on the engine? Not sure.

I will investigate checking valve lash. I'm not familiar with it but thats why I love the internet!

Anything else I should check?

Old 06-19-19, 11:14 AM
Hi All,

Hi All,

Here are some more pics from today. I removed the intake manifold and inspected, it was fine. No cracks or fractures. It may be this head gasket, its not in the greatest shape and some oil was coming out of the bottom of the cylinder head. Piston, Cylinder, and valves look ok. Both valves seat properly after turning the flywheel to inspect.

What are your thoughts on this head gasket?

Attached Images    
Old 06-19-19, 11:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That head gasket is no good at all. Half the material is peeled off of it!

Old 06-19-19, 12:25 PM
Thanks Cheese! I've got one on order. I'll clean off the head as well best I can, and all the gasket area around the cylinder to make sure to get a good fit.

I'll keep you posted. New gasket will be here Friday. Amazon!

Old 06-22-19, 07:12 AM
Hi Guys,

Well, I installed the new head gasket this morning and its still not running right . I'm really at a loss here. Looks like its still leaking some oil, and the plug gets pretty nasty after a minute or so of running rough. Not sure if its running rich or burning oil. No idea what else to look for?

Do these mufflers have gaskets, so if the gasket was bad it could be sucking air? Can't be the carburetor.......since that's brand new. No clue what else to look for here . Not willing to invest in compression tester or other tools. Will just likely scrap this engine.

Old 06-22-19, 12:24 PM
You need to install a new diaphram kit, it is Briggs part # 795083 or old # 495770 also Lowe's has a kit #5083 which has the same parts.
Here we go:

Remove air cleaner, there are 2 bolts that hold things together, one on the front of the tank 3/8" and one into the block 1/2", remove these bolts, now "slowly" slide the carb/tank off the intake tube and breather tube, now tilt the tank in to release the throttle linkage and waalaa the carb/tank is removed. Check the intake tube to see if the “O” ring seal and plastic retainer are still on the intake tube, if so remove them and re-install them into the carb. Remove the 5 screws from the carb/tank remove carb(don't loose the spring) now spray all holes, cracks and crevases in both the carb and tank surface with brake parts cleaner, remove the main screen(looks like a thimble), now with a small screwdriver pry out the main jet(carefully) and clean it, check the “O” ring on the main jet for damage, if it is damaged it must be replaced, reinstall the jet, it can be difficult some times to get it to snap back in place(I use the rounded end of a screwdriver handle). Remove and clean the fuel pickup stem(not necessary if the fuel tank was clean). Clean any junk/rust from the tank. Install the diaphram on the tank then the gasket(no goo or sealer) now carefully replace the carb(the spring will try to misalign the diaphram), tighten all screws a little at a time so as not to crimp the diaphram until they are all tight. Install the carb/tank in reverse order and you are done. If I missed something one of the real mechanics will correct me. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-22-19, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's what I said Geo but he says it can't be the carb. I say it is the carb diaphragm too. Especially knowing how that diaphragm pulls out from under the intake tube area.

Old 06-24-19, 05:56 AM
Cheese/Geo,

I appreciate your feedback, but as I mentioned in the initial post, I installed a brand NEW carburetor (Amazon) as well as NEW diaphragm. This was the kit so it included all.

Not sure why you insist I changed the carb out when I just purchased a new one w/ diaphragm and installed it last week?

Old 06-24-19, 07:46 AM
The items you purchased could have been setting in inventory somewhere for years before you got them, I once got 4 new Walmart Weedeater mowers out of their dumpster none would run because the diaphragms were dryed out. Have a good one, Geo

Old 06-24-19, 11:51 AM
Guys,

So we have some life. My mistake. It was a new carburetor, but somehow when I installed it, the diaphragm was not right. I pulled it off and sure enough, it had a hole in it. No worries as I had a spare diaphragm. Installed, engine ran great right away! (No pump on). Now, here's where the trouble lies. When I installed the pump (this is a brand new Annovi Reverberi pump, the same style that are on my other 3 pressure washers), it start to run for about 1-2 seconds, and shuts off immediately. Its like with the load of the pump on, it can't handle it. Shuts off right away. I turned the water supply off, disconnect the hoses, and fired up again. Runs perfect with no water supply. Only let it run for a couple seconds so the pump couldn't get damaged.

Now...........why with a new pump does the engine want to stall out immediately if it runs fine w/out the pump on? What am I missing here?

Old 06-24-19, 05:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pull the trigger on the wand before starting it and see if it will run. Let it run that way for a short while so that the engine can warm up and then release the trigger. If it still stalls, the unloader valve is stuck.

Old 06-25-19, 06:27 AM
Cheese,

When I depress the trigger for the wand and let pressure out, doesn't seem to make a difference. When that pump is attached to the engine period, it won't run at all. I tried it about 20 times. I even tried it with no water connected....so technically there is less resistance with no water in the pump at all, and it's not staying started.

I'm beginning to think that its some sort of ring issue. I guess I could try that test someone mentioned about taking a compression test reading with no oil in the cylinder, and then taking another one with some oil in the cylinder and see how much a difference there is....... ( I think I also watched a video on You Tube by "Donny Boy" regarding this......guy is pretty good).

Old 06-25-19, 11:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the engine start easily? You saw no scoring in the cylinder? If that's correct, there's no ring issue. Did you make sure the oring went back in place where the carb attaches to the intake?

Old 06-27-19, 08:35 AM
*UPDATE - Problem solved! I tore the carburetor off again (which I had done before and noticed a torn diaphragm....strange as I've replaced many of these. Must have installed incorrectly or damage from overtorquing the screws???)....I noticed some small pieces of what I thought were rust in the carb bowl. I know these tanks are notorious for rust, so some must have gotten pulled from the bottom of the tank. This makes perfect sense.........since everytime I would try and start with the pump attached, requiring more fuel of course, it could not start.

I started messing with the unloader valve as I think AVB mentioned..........loosened for less pressure. It started running better and better after screwing with it. That's when I realized it wasn't the unloader valve (which I didn't think it was, this pump is brand new) I tore the carb off and saw the rust pieces or whatever they were. The engine was trying to get more fuel but couldn't and would stall almost immediately.

So, thanks again! I think Cheese mentioned too.......it seems most of the time on these smaller engines its a carburetor issue!