Need help identifying a carb on a craftsman lawnmower

Old 06-19-19, 12:35 AM
Need help identifying a carb on a craftsman lawnmower

Hi, Iím new here to this forum, there is lots of great info on the forums but not the info Iíve been looking for.
My fathers got a old craftsman reel self propelled lawnmower for many years and he loves it and Iíd really like to get it going again for him. The carb has started leaking gas out back where the air cleaner fits on, Iíve looked everywhere online for a carb with the numbers that I can see with no luck. I was able to get the diaphragm and needle for it but that didnít stop the leaking. Iíll post pictures of the numbers from lawnmower and of the carb.

Attached Images      
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-19, 04:13 AM
Group Moderator
Before buying a new carb I would clean that one. Leaking gas is usually a sign of a float or needle valve problem.

Old 06-19-19, 11:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That carburetor is an oddball, I don't think you can buy them new anymore. It's a diaphragm carburetor, no float or bowl. The diaphragm is probably stiff or cracked. The kit you need is Tecumseh part number 6319893A if I'm not mistaken.

Old 06-19-19, 07:11 PM
I did clean out the carb and put in a new needle and diaphragm.
Is it possible to use another carb that would match up with the same bolt holes on the engine ?

Old 06-19-19, 09:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The kit I gave the number for has a new seat if I'm not mistaken, which may be needed to stop the leaking. I don't know if another tecumseh carb would fit directly or not. This carb is probably less trouble prone than the regular tecumseh carbs found on the old push mowers though. I'd go back into it and replace the seat and do what is needed to stop it from leaking personally but you could experiment with a different carb and see.

Old 06-20-19, 10:11 AM
Here is a link to the Tecumseh manual for that engine and carb. Have a good one, Geo
http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/ma...headmanual.pdf

Old 06-20-19, 02:53 PM
Check the float and make sure it is ok and not full of gas?? I had one that was bad and was full of gas and the carb flooded and would not run. Shake it. Also make sure it is level before you put the bowl back on. Hard to tell from the pictures if it has a bowl?

Old 06-21-19, 12:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It has no float or bowl.

Old 06-24-19, 01:01 AM
Thanks for all the advice but I found a guy who’s got the same used carb, I’m hoping to get it off him soon and have my fingers crossed that it’ll work fine.
Never knew how old this machine was until I needed parts for it, my dad has used for at least 20years without any issues.