Deere X304 Lawnmower charging issue

Old 06-23-19, 08:40 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Deere X304 Lawnmower charging issue

I believe it has one of those Kawasaki engines. Anyhow, when running the voltage goes up to 13.9 V, which is normal. However, when I engage the blades the voltage drops to 13.2 V. It seems the alternator has lost some capacity and has difficulties with current drawn by electrical clutch?
Question: Has anybody taken this alternator off, is there a rectifier built in? In case my suspicions are right one or more of diodes may be gone bad. Any tips and hints are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-19, 08:54 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The voltage at the battery with the engine running is 13.2V? Is it causing a problem with the accessories?

Old 06-23-19, 09:20 AM
Well, I'm trying to figure out why the batteries die on this mower. I never put a voltmeter on it before, now is the first time. 13.2 V is not terribly low, but it also does not allow for normal charging. I'm quite busy right now, I wonder how much work it is to get to this alternator to check the diodes.

Old 06-23-19, 11:06 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
The diodes don't care if the blade is engaged or not so it isn't the diodes, Most likely the voltage drops because the engine RPM drops when the blade is engaged. This is normal. If you increase the RPM with the blades engaged, does the alternator voltage increase? Could you expand on what you mean by "batteries die on this mower". 13.2 vdc is enough to charge a 12 vdc battery (current is in opposite direction).

Old 06-23-19, 01:06 PM
Sorry, but this is not how it works. When a diode goes bad then it affects directly the capacity of output. This lawnmower has practically no load when engine is running and the blade clutch is not engaged. The only load is the electromagnetic fuel valve, it draws a fraction of ampere. Ignition is independent and runs not on 12 V system. When the clutch is engaged the needed amperage increases steeply. Probably 20x or even more, didn't measure it. In any case, it puts an actual load on charging system and if it is crippled then the voltage drops.
However, in my case it wasn't the alternator, it was a bad connection. The alternator was outputting 13.9 V all the time, it just did't make it to the battery when the current drawn increased.
All good now, thanks for thinking with me.

Old 06-24-19, 04:06 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Bitjam, you said in the first post "However, when I engage the blades the voltage drops to 13.2 V." I said this could not be a result of a bad diode, so the diodes are OK. If a voltage regulator diode goes bad and depending of the sophistication of the voltage regulator, the in circuit output would be between zero to battery voltage, not 13.2 vdc.