Ryobi Gas Trimmer Repair Fail

Old 06-24-19, 09:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ryobi Gas Trimmer Repair Fail

Hi all,

I have a ryobi 26cc trimmer that had been running like garbage for a while and then stopped, likely because I stored fuel in it over the winter and then put some year old 50:1 mixed fuel in it this spring, lesson learned.

I replaced the plug, replaced the carb, replaced the fuel lines, and the thing still won't start. When I took the carb off I was able to dump a lot of old black liquid out of the chamber. After the replacement, hit it all with carb cleaner again and still nothing.

Any ideas what else I could try before I just go buy another power head for $89?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-19, 10:03 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Replaced the carb with a new one or a different one?

Take all the gas out of the tank, put the choke on full and pull it over a dozen times with closed throttle. That will flood it and remove the gas from the carb.

Now take the plug out and with full throttle pull it over bout 5 times. That will purge the crankcase and cylinder head of gas residue.

Then with full throttle put a small spoon full of fuel down the plug hole, stick the plug back in it and see if it will try to start. If it fires, put the gas back in the tank and try to start it with. normal starting procedures.

Old 06-24-19, 10:43 AM
It was a new carb. I will try it!

To be clear, I should not touch the primer bulb during any of this, correct?

Also, I had been playing with the carb screws previously, I understand that I should turn them in all the way clockwise then a turn counterclockwise as a starting point, is that right?

Last edited by SK-Kenny; 06-24-19 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 12:52 PM
Received 21 Votes on 18 Posts
With the spark plug removed and touching the engine, do you see spark when you pull the start cord? You use the primer bulb to fill the carb with gas at a cold start. A carb with a primer bulb has 2 fluid lines going to the tank. One is for supply and the other for discharge. Do you have them crossed? The supply line should have a filter attached inside the tank, Did you change the filter?

Old 06-24-19, 05:10 PM
When you get to the point of putting gas back in it, 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated is a good starting point.

You need the primer lines hooked up correctly for it to run, but what you're doing now is essentially eliminating the carburetor until you can clear the engine of gas residue. Once it fires you sort of have a clean slate to start from.

Old 06-25-19, 06:33 AM
Hmm, ok, followed the procedures and no dice. During the part where I took the plug out and pulled the cord, there did seem to be a lot of residue still in the engine. Should I try to purge this more?

Regarding the plug, I tried the spark test. Couldn't get it to anything metal but did feel charge going through my fingers lol...does that mean it's good?

Old 06-25-19, 07:48 AM
You need to wash it out with gasoline and/or carb cleaner before doing anything. When checking for spark, make sure you don't have gas fumes around the engine.

Old 06-25-19, 09:57 AM
Thank you, I appreciate all of the input.

Old 06-26-19, 06:31 AM
OK, took carb off, doused entire inside of engine with carb cleaner and drained out. Reassembled and tried the starting procedure with the spoonful of gas in the spark plug hole, and still nothing. Does this thing have bigger problems?

Old 06-26-19, 07:03 AM
Still fighting that thing apparently? They can be a little difficult.

Since you had it started and running to begin with usually gives you some of the basics working. If you didn't have compression there it wouldn't have been running at all. So with the old fuel and things crudded up brings you to cleaning it up and airing it out.

The problem with a two stroke is the fuel moves through the crankcase which has to be cleaned out and purged of vapors. In the case of old fuel it gives you more to clean up.

With that you would need a good spark and compression. You should have a spark at the grounded plug although it's a little tough to see it in daylight. It helps in a dark garage - that sort of environment

If you take off the muffler you can usually see into the upper cylinder. Any scoring on the piston or cylinder walls would likely give you low compression and considering the machine, the junk pile gets closer.

If the scoring isn't there, the problem is likely a small flooding issue and typical two stroke headaches. Flooding is the concentration of fuel vapors in the air being too high to ignite. That's why you have to purge those out of the way.

When you put the fuel in the plug hole it automatically flooded the fuel air mixture beyond igniting. But with full throttle each pull of the cord brings the fuel concentration lower and closer to igniting. Sometimes it takes a few pulls.

Old 06-26-19, 07:29 AM
I believe I would think about how you use the trimmer and how much you have to do. If it's not a lot - say 70 feet of sidewalk, I would chuck the gas jobs and get a rechargeable battery machine.

The gas outfits are great in their place and if you need them, ;you have to have them. But if they sit too long they can be a problem.