Echo String Trimmer???

Old 05-05-19, 02:05 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Echo String Trimmer???

I have a GT200r String trimmer. I replaced the tank rubber grommet, gas lines, fuel filter and air breather. Took carb apart and cleaned and put in a new diaphragm. It starts right up on choke but dies as soon as I pull the throttle. just seems like it is not getting enough gas?? Any suggestion
Thanks

Old 05-05-19, 02:28 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Sounds like gas/carburetor problem. Is that what it was doing before you put the kit in the carb?

If it has the primer bulb is it filling OK and you have the lines on correctly?

Old 05-05-19, 03:19 PM
D
When I push on the primer bulb the line fills up. It is the line without the filter on it right?

Old 05-05-19, 06:41 PM
A
Received 113 Upvotes on 98 Posts
did you adjust the carb high and low seems obvious if you rebuilt the carb you would of taken it all apart and cleaned it then had to readjust when you started it up but just checking.

Old 05-05-19, 06:46 PM
M
The line with fuel going to the tank would not have a filter. The pickup line with fuel going to the carburetor will have the filter. If you have fuel moving in the line going to the tank, you have completed the functions of the fuel pump diaphragm manually.

That tells you the carb is full of fuel and you probably just need to adjust the mixture screws. Usually the low speed screw will control, not only the low speed rpm, but the transition to high rpms. The latter may be a bogging down and adjusting the LH screw in slightly will take care of it. Sometimes you have to play with it a little.

If you've lost the settings for the mixture screws when you took it apart, set both at 1 1/2 out from lightly seated. Then set the idle speed to keep it running and adjust the LH screw for max rpms, then out slightly - about 1/16 of a turn. That should give the engine a snap moving to the higher throttle position. If it doesn't adjust it until it jumps pretty well. Then reset the idle speed.

There are some carbs that only have one adjusting screw. Set it like above for the LH screw.

Old 05-05-19, 07:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I don't think that trimmer has any adjustable mixture screws. I'd just buy another carb for it, they are so cheap these days. You can pick up a new aftermarket one with lines, filters, gasket, spark plug, and free shipping for $13.

jl66redcpe voted this post useful.
Old 05-05-19, 11:22 PM
A
Received 113 Upvotes on 98 Posts
would also replace it with an aftermarket one from amazon they are cheap and I havent had any issues with the ones ive bought but they are not oem not even worth trying to rebuild one when there that inexpensive really. but it may have adjustment screws they could be hidden though if you want to mess with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlsVcCdzaoA

Old 05-06-19, 05:23 AM
M
Check under the primer bulb for the mixture adjusting screw. Some of those are a little difficult to find. The idle speed is usually a little more obvious.

If you have to fight it too much replacing the carburetor isn't expensive.

Old 05-06-19, 07:14 AM
D
Yes when I took the carb apart I did clean all the ports, but there are no adj screws on this. It is a different carb that I have ever seen as the throttle attached directly to the carb with a plastic piece goes into the center of the carb. It is a plastic cylinder that turns when you pull the throttle that opens up. When you take out the 4 screws for the primer bulb, there is another screw in the center of the bulb that holds the plastic piece that the gas lines attach to. I did find a carb for $13 but the question is why. The existing carb should work? I am missing something.

Old 05-06-19, 07:46 AM
M
Sorry, I should clarify. The adjusting screw (if there is one) - check, not inside, but around the perimeter of the primer bulb with the carb assembled.

There's a little metal shield with an access arch. The mixture screw would be through that little arch. It's not obvious.

Sometimes replacing a carb is the least frustrating and the best use of time in the repair. If you have one with a lot of age and wear, that may be the best route to go. Ethanol fuels shorten the life of the diaphragms, "O" rings etc. and other fuels have a short shelf life which plugs things up if not not kept up on. A lot of homeowner machines just don't get the care and use they need to keep going. If a kit costs $11.00 and a carb costs $13.00 it's less hassle to stick another carb on it.

But it's a hard sell to replace a carb everytime it gets dirty.

Old 05-06-19, 06:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah, those don't have an adjustment as mentioned.

They are strange, you can clean them and clean them, put new gaskets in, etc... but they don't run right. I don't know why. I spent some time with one to the point that I had spent hours with no improvement and decided I was wasting too much time trying to find the source of a problem when I could move on with a new carb and get on to the next job. I usually like to get to the root of a problem and gain understanding even if it means spending more time than it's worth to figure it out but I had to cut it loose and move on.

Old 05-06-19, 06:57 PM
M
I don't know how they work it without mixture adjustments for tuning, but usually when you get one of them running well enough you don't mess with the mixtures anyway. A lot of the older automotive carburetors just have a mixture screw for the idle and an idle speed screw. If you wanted to tune the load mixture you would change the jet.

That particular trimmer has three Echo OEM carbs, on a parts website. Two show the High speed metering screw and the other doesn't have one. It must be the newer model without the screw.

Old 05-19-19, 12:05 PM
D
I have not had time to look at this but wet snowy rainy day gonna pull apart again and check it again. Will keep you posted. If this does not work gonna buy a new carb

Old 05-19-19, 02:51 PM
D
Did nothing and I found nothing. Just ordered a carb. Hope it works

Old 06-27-19, 12:49 PM
D
Got a new carb off ebay for $9. and put in on the trimmer and it started and runs perfect. Just cannot figure out why could not get the old one to work. My guess is previous owner used ethanol gas and it was bad or plugged under those hidden capped jets or what ever they are under those aluminum disks? Think I an done cleaning carbs

Old 06-27-19, 05:44 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
previous owner used ethanol gas and it was bad
All gas has ethanol and it goes bad fast!

Old 06-27-19, 06:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not everywhere. We have gas stations that sell non ethanol gas (thank goodness!).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: