Excell 2500 powerwasher won't start. What should I check?

Old 06-24-19, 05:37 PM
Excell 2500 powerwasher won't start. What should I check?

Hello all , I have an Excell 2500 powerwasher with a Honda 5hp engine that won't start. I was using the pw and than it turned off. I thought I ran out of gas but that's not the case. There was fuel in the tank and when I tried to start it it wouldn't start. I took the carb out and cleaned everything and reassembled it all. I checked for spark and there was spark. I took the pump off and tried to start it but it still will not start. What should I check next? Thanks for any advise.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-19, 06:04 PM
Might be low on oil, I think it has a low oil shutoff. Have a good one. Geo

joecaption liked this post.
Old 06-25-19, 03:52 PM
Almost on fire.

I checked the oil and it is full. I pulled off the air filter and pulled the chord and a flame came out of the air filter housing. Never had that happen . Is it possible that I put the carb jet in backwards? It seems to have only been one way the jet goes back in. The jet had a thick end and a skinny end. I put the skinny end into the carb first. Is it possible that there is too much gas in the carb and that's why flames came out? The washer has a Honda GC 160 engine.

Old 06-25-19, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
If it were a low oil issue there would be no spark.
There is an on/off switch on it but if that was off there would be no spark either.

I have the same exact unit. I've never had a problem with mine.
I don't really have anything positive to offer you.

Old 06-25-19, 04:44 PM
On/off switch is on. The oil is good. Is it possible it could be the fuel pump? I sprayed some gas in the spark plug port to see if it started but it did not. I'm stumped. There's got to be someone who knows. It seems all aspects are good. I'm taking the carb off again and gonna soak it overnight. If I don't get it running I'm getting some C4. That'll fix it. Ha ha

Old 06-25-19, 08:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the valve timing. I'm assuming by your description that you have a GC160 engine and those are known to have valvetrain problems, including broken rocker arms, timing belt problem, and worn off cam lobes. The flame shooting out the intake points to that or a flooding engine.

Old 06-26-19, 07:52 AM
Junk it?

Thanks for the info cheese. If it's anything other than the engine flooding should I just junk the engine? Not sure if I've got the time or tools to do that job.

Old 06-26-19, 12:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's just 4 10mm head bolts holding the valve cover on and you can see all that right there. It's no reason to junk the engine if that's what's wrong. A broken rocker arm can be replaced in 15 minutes. If you don't have the ability, take it to a shop and let them fix it. Junking it just wastes all the resources and energy that were put into making it.

Old 06-26-19, 02:49 PM
Thank you cheese. I'm not junking it. I'm just angry that I can't get this thing working. I do have mechanicable ability so that's why I'm still trying this. I took the carb off again and cleaned it and re assembled. Now I have a sputter. Sounds like a backfire but also sounds like it wants to start. You mentioned it may be flooded and if it is how is that fixed? I let it sit for awhile and took the spark plug out and pulled a few times to clean out any gas. Put the plug in and pulled cord but still not starting. Thank everyone for all the help.

Old 06-26-19, 03:06 PM
Valve timing

Also, how do you check the valve timing on this engine? Thanks again

Old 06-27-19, 12:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
One thing I just remembered is that Hondas usually come with NGK plugs. Eve though you have spark, don't trust it, go get a champion or autolite equivalent and try that first. You did the right procedure for clearing it out if it was flooded, unless the carb is still flooding while you do all this.

One easy way to check the valve timing is to turn the engine while watching the rocker arms. You will reach the point where "the valves rock". It's where one valve reaches fully closed and the other breaks open at the same time. At that point in the engine rotation, the piston should be exactly top dead center. You can check the piston position with a pencil through the spark plug hole and feel it go up and down at the same point that the valves rock. If it matches my description exactly, then the valves are timed correctly. If it's just a hair off, it has jumped a tooth or more on the timing belt.

Old 06-27-19, 02:21 PM
All is fine with the timing of the piston. The valves and piston are acting like you said. I'm thinking it's a carb flooding problem because it sounds like alot of gas in the intake housing. I used starting fluid with no result. It seemed like it just added more fluid to the carb. What could be causing this? I noticed a few of the gaskets in not so great condition, could that be the problem? I also changed the spark plug before I started posting with a champion plug. Gapped it at .28-.31 like the manual said. I also gapped the plug several times at different sizes. Is a new carb on the horizon or can this be fixed? Thanks again.

Old 06-27-19, 06:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Clean the needle tip and use a q-tip and carb cleaner to clean out the inlet seat where the needle goes. Something is keeping it from sealing off the gas flow.

Old 06-27-19, 07:24 PM
I cleaned that carb twice, really good. All inlets had carb cleaner coming out. So I'll do what you said tomorrow and see what happens. Cheese, thanks for all your help. I'm determined to get this running. Should I keep the Champion plug gapped at .28-.31?Thanks again

Old 06-27-19, 08:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, that's the right plug gap. Sometimes there is varnish or corrosion that gets on the inlet seat and needs to be physically scrubbed off with a qtip and carb cleaner.