Vintage Case 446 Tractor with Onan Engine

Old 06-27-19, 12:41 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Vintage Case 446 Tractor with Onan Engine

Working on this tractor that I have had running last year but did not run well and then finally quit. Took carb apart and cleaned it it looked good. Got it to pop once but will not run. Checked the spark and no spark when it is cranking. When I release the key there is a short one time spark. Is there a timing adj on this twin cylinder Onan engine or what do I look for. Something is off. Appreciate the help

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-19, 12:53 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
Based on no spark when cranking and a spark when you release the key, I would suspect the ignition switch. You can check it with an ohmmeter, and should have continuity from the battery terminal to the ignition terminal with the key in both the start and run positions. If my suspicion is correct, you will find that you have continuity in the run position but not in the start position, Or this could also indicate a bad ballast resistor, except that, although I do not know, I would be a bit surprised if your Onan engine uses one.

Old 06-27-19, 01:24 PM
D
You were right on about the key switch. I checked the connections on it and one of the wires was loose. I pulled off and cleaned post and crimped with pliers and put back on and it fired right up. YEA Thank You!!

Old 06-28-19, 09:51 AM
D
Today is a new day. Tractor would not start again today and no spark at all?? Don't know if it could be a bad condenser or points. Or some electrical problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-28-19, 01:49 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
Since you already found one wire loose on the back of the ignition switch, and that's not all that common, I would go back there first, see if anything else is loose, and check the switch like I mentioned to see if you're getting power to the ignition in both the start and run positions. You could go directly to the coil and see if you have power with the switch on, but that would not necessarily be conclusive if the path through the switch is intermittent.