Craftsman/Snapper riding mower transmission trouble

Old 06-30-19, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman/Snapper riding mower transmission trouble

Hi all,
I have a Craftsman/Snapper riding mower model number 536.270301 whoís transmission has stopped working.

I was in the middle of my lawn when I bumped up against a rock. I wasnít going very fast, and it was enough to stop the mower. I put it in reverse, and it wouldnít move. After I moved the mower away from the rock, I tried going forward, no good.

All the linkage is still attached outside the transmission, so Iím thinking something internal...

With the transmission engaged, I can rock the mower back and forth and feel that itís connected, but when I try to move it under its own power, it wonít move.

Any ideas on what to check?? It has a hydrostatic transmission.

Thank you in advance

kb

Last edited by kb2112; 06-30-19 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Adding details.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-19, 09:31 AM
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
Belt? If not that I would suspect at least the possibility of a sheared key on the engine or transmission shaft, so would check that the pulleys on the engine and transmission are engaged with there respective components. In other words, with the mower shut off, and the spark plug wire disconnected, check that the pulley on the engine crankshaft is tight on the engine, and likewise with the pulley on the transmission. By tight I mean that the pulley turns with each of these, and you may have to remove the belt to tell for sure.

Old 06-30-19, 09:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 19 Posts
I'd be looking at the belt.

Old 07-01-19, 06:44 AM
The belt and everything outside the transmission is good. I had it serviced in the beginning of last year.

I am very confident that itís something inside the transmission, but how do I diagnose this?

Old 07-01-19, 07:20 AM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Also check that the two rods that can be pulled to disengage the hydrolics so the mower can be towed are in the right position.

Old 07-01-19, 07:23 AM
I went through something similar with a buddy's mower earlier this year, not the same as yours, but the transaxle looks relatively similar and the circumstances were similar, and the axle was broken inside the wheel. He pushed it a hundred yards or so back to the garage before calling me, and both wheels were still in place, rotated fine and all when I went over that evening, but there was literally nothing to prevent the wheel on that side from falling right off. So the next thing I would do is block up the rear end and remove the wheels to see if the axles and keys are both intact.

Old 07-01-19, 12:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you see the transmission pulley turning with the engine running?

Old 07-01-19, 06:00 PM
As it turned out, it was the belt on top of the transmission. The thing popped off the pully. I did not even know that it existed, thank you very much for all your help.

It was a bear to get back on, Iím sure there is an easier way than the way I did, but I did get it going.

Unfortunately Iím going to have to keep the thing, it is a machine that I really do not like. I was hoping to be able to replace it. LOL!!

Thank you again

Old 07-01-19, 06:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it going, I figured that was the case. Most folks know about the blade belt because you can see it but many don't realize there is another.

Old 07-01-19, 07:03 PM
I was so excited with the opportunity to replace this mower, that I didnít think of really getting into it to fix it. I canít stand this mower because the front tire rims are constantly breaking. Itís a very poor design.

Old 07-01-19, 09:22 PM
Sorry, should have been more specific when I asked about the belt in the first place. Funny in retrospect, but I did the same thing to a buddy two summers ago. Quick story, early in the week, Monday or Tuesday morning he called to say his mower had quit, engine ran fine but wouldn't move, and I was working about three or four hours from home that week, so we were putting in long days, very noisy environment so couldn't hear the phone half the time and the cell service was so bad that it was almost useless when I did answer it, so all we had was grainy phone messages back and forth. So he kept leaving messages that it still wouldn't go and I kept leaving him messages that it had to be the culprit. Finally on Friday, late afternoon or early evening while I was driving back he called, totally frustrated, was hosting a group from the church Sunday, the grass was long, and the mower still wouldn't run. Well, I did it again, told it almost certainly had to be the belt, and he said that he had bought and put on three new ones that week because I sounded so adamant that was the problem but none of them worked. Hmmm, must be something else because no way he got three bad belts, so told him I would stop over Saturday morning. I was almost laughing by the time I went over there because, as it finally occurred to me, he was changing the belt on the mower deck. So I dropped what I was going to do for myself and started working on getting things out of the way while he went back to the dealer for a drive belt, and it was a job, but he got his lawn mowed that afternoon.