Toro 20018 22" Recycler Lawnmower runs for 5 minutes

Old 07-02-19, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toro 20018 22" Recycler Lawnmower runs for 5 minutes

Hello!

My Toro 20018 22" Recycler Lawnmower starts up easy and runs for 5 minutes, then just cuts out as if I let go of the handle. No sputtering just a quick cut off. The past month or two its been running fine, but has been more difficult to start than previously.

I replaced the entire carburetor, exact same issue. Changed the oil/gas, the usual suspects.

The strange thing is once its warmed up and turns itself off, it will not turn back on. I can pull and pull and it will not start until its cooled off again.

Any suggestions? I'm stumped and not in the best place to spend hundreds on a new machine, I appreciate any help and will try to answer any questions you have. Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-19, 07:50 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I had a similar experience with a Honda mower: ran, cut off, restarted after sitting for a while. For me the solution was replacing the spark plug. Maybe the plug had cracked, or was heat-expanding to where it was too deformed to work properly, not sure.

I can't definitively say "that's your solution" but for $4 or so it's a relatively cheap attempt.

Old 07-02-19, 11:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
Usually this is caused by the zone cable. It likely isn;t pulling the kill switch far enough to clear the connection by much and as soon as it warms up, it expands and makes connection and shuts it off until it cools down again.

Old 07-03-19, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you! Those are great suggestions, I checked the zone cable and it seems to be pulling the switch pretty far and not much change when it warms.

I tried a new spark plug and no change unfortunately. I did have someone to help me and I tried starting it with the spark plug against some metal to see if we can see the spark and we saw nothing. I tried again and again and we could not get a spark to go after it had died. I'm thinking its likely the ignition coil that isn't allowing a spark when it gets warmed up - any other thoughts?

Old 07-03-19, 10:47 AM
Received 55 Votes on 50 Posts
The first thing I would check is the gas cap, to make sure it is clean and the vent is not obstructed. After that, yes, a coil that is failing will stop producing when it gets hot. What I would do is stick a tester in my pocket and check for spark as soon as it stops. Don't lay it on the bench in the garage because by the time you walk there and back it could be cooled down enough that it won't tell you anything.

Old 07-03-19, 12:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
Yeah, if it's not the zone cable, then I'd say it's the coil. Check the kill wire to be sure it's not pinched or skinned anywhere but most likely it's the coil.

CarterRam voted this post useful.