Kohler Model SV620S-0210 Gas Smell While Off

Old 07-05-19, 09:01 PM
Arrow Kohler Model SV620S-0210 Gas Smell While Off

I have the above model and I have noticed a small seeping of gasoline while the engine is off. When I remove the air filter housing and I saw gas coming out of the opening where the carburetor intake. I am new to this mower but while the air filter housing is off the opening in the carburetor intake if open and not closed is that correct? THis is where the small leakage of gas is coming. When I cut the mower off it also does a small backfire 1 time. It does start fine and I am changing the oil, new plug, and new air filter. I am also running about 10 ounces of Seafoam through the gas system in the fuel. I really need some suggestions to try for this Kohler Model SV620S it is the 210 series on a Troy Bilt.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-19, 03:54 AM
Upvotes Received: 24
Most likely the float is sticking, or there's trash in the seat.
Here's a video on how to rebuilt the carb., it's the wrong brand but but they all use the same principle.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...1&action=click

Old 07-06-19, 09:21 AM
Joe thanks that selonoid might be sticking too it appears. Who is a good site to buy parts from? I think as long as it will continue to crank I will get through this grass growing season then do a new seat and check that selenoid seal. Yes mine is the SV620 210 series and give it a cleaning. Most of all thanks.

Old 07-06-19, 09:33 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
Regularly check the oil level in the engine. Sometimes with a leaking carburetor the fuel can run into the engine and eventually the oil and it's not good to run the engine with oil that's been diluted with gasoline.

Old 07-06-19, 12:04 PM
Upvotes Received: 8
Hi, in some cases so much gas gets into the oil that it will not crank, trust me.
Geo

Old 07-06-19, 12:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 14
The solenoid sticking won't cause the gas leak. It can cause the backfire, but even if it's sticking, it can be fixed. I'd put a new carb on it. I've not had much success stopping these from leaking with new needles and cleaning. Yeah, it may stop for 6 months or a while, but they always seem to go back to leaking. Close inspection reveals that the needle tip actually wears the brass inlet seat into an oblong shape and eventually it just can't seal anymore. I've had success with the cheap chinese replacement carbs on these engines so far. You can buy the whole carb for just a few dollars more than the needle kit.

I also agree with checking the oil. If it is thin, overfilled, and/or smells of gas, time to change it. It has almost certainly been contaminated with the leaking gas.

Old 07-14-19, 06:36 PM
Cheese - I have been thinking about placing a gas shut off valve in line for this Kohler SV 620. Would you place it before or after the gas filter? Which of the brands of carbureators would you recommend? That shut off valve should help at least keep too much getting into the oil if these are problematic.

Old 07-14-19, 08:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 14
I can't really answer which I would do because I don't like the gas shutoffs. I've seen them leak and cause problems and it never fails, you will at some point forget to turn it off and then you'll spend time and money changing oil and filter and wasted gas. I try not to use them. I don't know the brands of the aftermarket carbs. I imagine most of them come from the same place anyway.