ZT2050 drive motor or hyd pump

Old 07-07-19, 07:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ZT2050 drive motor or hyd pump

I've had this Simplicity mower since 2004 so it's well worn, but still working, but one of the wheels is getting real weak. Motor runs great and strong, I take care of it. Don't know if it's the drive motor or the hydraulic pump for that motor and the parts are expensive as hell. Has anyone ever rebuilt either of these things on a ZT mower and is it an option? I only put about 50 hours on it every year and it's got less than 500 hours on it. I keep rebuilding parts of the deck and I really don't want to buy a new one. Also how do I tell if it's the motor or the pump?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-19, 08:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
I would look up the brand and model number for your pump and motor then look online to see if there are rebuild kits.

Old 07-07-19, 10:12 AM
Received 57 Votes on 52 Posts
I don't know, have worked on a lot of equipment, but not the business end of a zero turn yet, but isn't there oil to change and filter(s) to change? I know you said that you have taken care of it, but didn't mention either of these, and at 15 years old, even if the hour meter says it's not time yet that is probably the first thing I would at least take a look at. I assume they have a closed system, but seems possible that machinings could accumulate on a screen, in a valve, or whatever.

Old 07-07-19, 01:46 PM
Yes, I changed the hyd oil at 400 hours like recommended. It was a real mess, there's no way to get the filter off without spilling oil on everything. This weak side has been going on for a long time, it's gradually getting worse. I did look up the parts and they are ridiculous, like $700 for the motor and the same for the pump. There's a pump for both motors. I'd buy a new mower before I'd have it repaired at a shop it would probably cost over $2000 to repair it. Everything I've read about fixing them has not been good. I suppose I could pull apart the weak side and see if I can find any blockage, but it would be a real project. And then there's no guarantee it wouldn't get worse from the work. The thing cost me $5000 at the time, the prices are a bit better now.

Old 07-07-19, 04:28 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
You might want to check Surplus Center. They have tons of hydraulic stuff and the latest catalog has some ZT mower power assemblies as well.

Old 07-07-19, 07:56 PM
Thanks, I'll take a look at surplus. Right now I think I can get the thing through the rest of the summer, then maybe this fall, I'll start playing with fixing it or buying a new one. It's really worst when I'm going on a hill and I have to use the left side to drive it. It's pretty slow then. I think that's why it's worn out, It's pretty hilly here and I do a lot of work with just one drive side. But the RS seems fine. We'll see what happens, I was hoping maybe someone had done this, but in other forums I've read about fixing this kind of thing it's a real nightmare and rarely works right after trying to fix. I think part of it too is the LS wheel motor got loose and the wheel was rubbing on the frame and was working against itself trying to keep going, that may have had a lot to do with why it's weak. Looking around I found a hyd pump for less than $500 (psep.biz) but can't find a motor at all. It's actually a Ferris part. Psep does have the repair kit for the pump and I found the HydroGear service and maintenance manual.