Ryobi string trimmer only runs @ half throttle

Old 07-09-19, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ryobi string trimmer only runs @ half throttle

Hi
I've got a Ryobi 26cc string trimmer, model RY28020. I can get it to start and run, (not idle) only @ 1/2 throttle. Every time I move it to run it stops. The manual suggest it may be the spark arrestor. Unfortunately it doesn't say where this is located. I've looked at the parts list and it doesn't say where it is either.
I'm using TruFuel premix 40:1, new plug. I don't want to mess with the idle screw until I've ruled out everything else.
Any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-19, 05:51 PM
Received 396 Votes on 370 Posts
Roybi is not a really great brand, however, did you leave gas in the tank/carb for extended period of time, sounds like the carb needs to be cleaned or replaced!

Old 07-10-19, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Marq
I've had other brands and Ryobi was as good as any of them, including Echo. No I never leave gas in the tank or carb. I make sure it's dry before I put it away. The carb looks fine to me. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem unless the idle screw is out of adjustment. I'm thinking I had a problem with this before I put it away. I bought a new power head and have been using that one. Am just trying to get this up and running again.
Do you have any idea where the spark arrestor is?? There is a screen inside the muffle assembly, I'm wondering if that's it? It would explain why a muffler replacement is $42.

Old 07-10-19, 12:27 PM
M
Received 15 Votes on 14 Posts
There is a screen inside the muffle assembly, I'm wondering if that's it
That's it. .....................................................................................................................................

Old 07-10-19, 12:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 41 Posts
If it's the spark arrestor, it will rev up only a little and keep running at that level, not shut off like yours is doing. The idle screw won't have anything to do with it. Ryobi is nowhere near the quality level as Echo. Not knocking Ryobi, they are entry level disposable homeowner products and that's the niche they purposely fill. They don't make anything commercial grade or even mid grade.

Old 07-10-19, 04:40 PM
Received 396 Votes on 370 Posts
and Ryobi was as good as any of them, including Echo.
I doubt you will find many that agree but to each their own!