vintage lawn tractor differential

Old 07-11-19, 07:10 AM
Upvotes Received: 43
vintage lawn tractor differential

I'm on the home stretch with the mid-60's Motomower that I'm restoring for my wife to use around the yard. Last year I stripped it down, painted the sheet metal, overhauled the starter/generator and voltage regulator, then, late summer or early fall I think, I posted a couple of questions about the fuel pump and maybe something to do with the ignition system, got everything working like it's supposed to, all original parts, no modern modifications, and am happy to say that it is running like a champ. In fact she has pulled the aerator and roller a number of miles with it, and just within the past month or so I bartered for a John Deere 80 dump wagon so she's ready to go.

Except that I'm not satisfied with the rear axle. I replaced the axle seals and that helped but still leaked, so I lowered the oil level, and that helped, but that's not how I usually do things so it's apart again. What I found is that the inner ends of the axle shafts are worn, one not so bad but the other almost .030", so they are flopping inside the bronze bushings, and, since the load and speed are both minimal, I figured a reasonable repair, someplace between acceptable and good enough for what it is, was to remove the axles shafts, chuck them in the lathe, turn them enough to remove any ridges, apply some JB Weld, then turn them to the size I need.

My quandary is that I do not want to split the transaxle case if I don't have to, but I need to get the axles out to work on them, and I can't pull them out either side of the case because the ring gear is too large to fit through the openings for the axle housings. I thought this would be easy, but last night I removed the 4 bolts holding the ring gear to the differential, thinking they would separate, and they did not. Is anyone familiar enough with any of this older stuff to know if it's just a matter of tapping or prying or whatever to separate the ring gear from the differential, or is it likely pressed on? If it's pressed on, then I guess I need to open the case anyway, because even if I was able to pry it off I may have to press it back on for reassembly. So I may tap on it a bit this evening, but figured I'd see if anyone knew one way or the other. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-19, 11:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 14
Sorry, I don't know. I wanted to comment though that you could probably find a speedi sleeve to repair that axle since I imagine it's a common size like 3/4" or 1". That would be a permanent lasting repair. Just something I thought I'd mention in case you hadn't thought of it.

Old 07-11-19, 11:37 AM
Upvotes Received: 43
Thank you, and shucks, because I thought you might be one who would say "yeah, I remember one of those way back when and...". And sorry for the long explanation, but I enjoy resurrecting some of this older stuff, and it's even more fun when it's something like this that the wife or I will use, more so than for someone else who may or may not appreciate the patience and everything else it takes to work on something that isn't made any more and not much information to go on. Anyway, yes, a sleeve was one of the first things I thought about, but the shafts still needed to come out and be turned to the right dimension, and the more I thought about it decided that might be overkill considering that it's not something that will be used every day, and when it is the axles rotate at something like maybe 400 rpm at full speed and more like 200-300 rpm the way it will be used most of the time.But I appreciate it, so thank you.