Tecumseh OHH60-71107C - Wont fire

Old 07-18-19, 12:13 PM
Tecumseh OHH60-71107C - Wont fire

Hi All,

I'm trying to repair a Tecumseh Engine that is used for a Go Kart for a friend. All they told me was that it suddenly stopped, and won't start again. Disregard the missing pull cord as they had broken it........I replaced with a brand new unit from Amazon.

I did some initial testing and the engine is getting spark. So, to start eliminating issues I changed the plug, air filter, and air cleaner. The carb is getting gas which is good, but I think this may be the issue since the engine has gas and its creating spark........just won't turn over at all.

Now, as for changing the carb..........I'm pretty sure Amazon shipped me a carb that had already been tampered with. The spring for the throttle was not under tension, and when I connected the gas line to it, gas continued to come out the air filter side. Unbelievable! Not surprised though. Maybe the float is stuck. Tried swapping parts with the old carb but still didn't work. I've got another carb on order to try, hopefully they ship me a NEW one this time!

Anyone have any other suggestions on what to look for on this engine since it won't fire? I'm thinking its GOT to be the carb if there is plenty of gas and its creating spark. Hope I'm not missing anything?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-19, 05:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 14
Does it have compression?

Old 07-18-19, 07:23 PM
Totally missed that Cheese...thanks! I’ll report back in a while. Went on vacation, should be about 10 days.

What should compression be expected to be?

Old 07-19-19, 05:15 AM
Upvotes Received: 8
Hi, won’t turn over? do you mean when you pull the rope?
Geo

Old 07-19-19, 06:30 AM
Yes, when I pull the rope....doesn't even seem like it will start. As Cheese mentioned, I totally forgot to check the compression! That's my next test.

Cheese,

If the compression test reveals its toast, these small engines aren't worth repairing are they? Makes more sense to buy a Predator Engine or something and retrofit.

Old 07-19-19, 10:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Depends on why it has no compression as to if it's worth repairing.

"Won't turn over" means the engine is locked up. "Won't fire" means it has no spark, just for future reference. Yours wont start or try to from what I gather.

Old 08-01-19, 07:52 AM
Low Compression

Cheese,

Sorry for taking so long to get info, finally was able to go over to our friends to check the compression on this Tecumseh Engine.

I'm only getting 80-90psi max.........that's performing the test 3 times.

I'm thinking this is the problem and the engine has either a blown head gasket, bad valve, etc. Not worth repairing.

I just checked Harbor Freights website, and you can get a brand new Predator 6.5HP 212cc engine for $120.

Old 08-01-19, 10:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's probably enough compression. Most 4 cycle small engines don't perform well on compression tests. The main thing is you confirmed it's not blown up and the valves are working.

Old 08-01-19, 11:05 AM
Ok......I figured it was right on the border of bad/good. My next step is to install a brand new carburetor and see what happens. The last one from Amazon was bad out of the box.

If this new carb doesn't solve it, thats about all I can do. I've verified its getting fresh gas, new air filter, new plug, and is getting spark. Don't know what else it could be if it doesn't start this time.

Old 08-01-19, 12:37 PM
Upvotes Received: 1
Before you start buying stuff put a teaspoon of fuel in the spark plug hole and try to start it just to see if it will try to start. Have a good one. Geo