Craftsman lawn mower dies when it gets hot

Old 07-19-19, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman lawn mower dies when it gets hot

My Craftsman keeps dying when it gets hot. For example, when the lawn mower is cool, I am able to start mower and use it. However, as soon as I let go the lever and the engines turned off, I'm unable to start the lawn mower again. In addition, even if the mower is on and I'm able to mow my lawn, it would easily die and not have much power to cut the grass. Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-19, 01:22 PM
Received 53 Votes on 48 Posts
Maybe it's just me, was out in the heat quite a bit today, but having a hard time getting a clear picture of what it's doing. I'll toss out a few things anyway and you can see if any of them seem to fit. A dirty or damaged fuel cap may not be venting properly. What happens is that air will eventually get into the tank if the engine is off for X amount of time, so it starts and runs fine, but after a while the volume of gas leaving the tank exceeds the volume of air getting into the tank, creating a vacuum, and the engine effectively runs out of gas. If this is a possibility you can test it by operating it with the cap loose and see if that eliminates the problem. Temperature affects the ability of electricity to flow, and ignition coils that work fine at ambient temperature will lose their spark as their temperature goes up. If this is a possibility you can test it by carrying a spark tester in your pocket while mowing and check for spark as soon as it dies. The reason I suggest carrying it in your pocket is that, depending what state the coil is in, it may not take a long time for it to cool back down enough to work, so by the time you go track down the tester the circumstances may have changed. You also mentioned not having much power, in which case I would do a thorough inspection of the intake system, meaning clean or replace the air filter, check that the throttle and choke cables and linkages are working properly, and a thorough service of the carburetor, meaning not just spraying something in it but taking it apart and thoroughly cleaning it or replacing it. All in all, it probably sounds like the carburetor is a good place to start, but not sure, and the first two, fuel cap and spark won't cost you any more than a tester if you don't have one and you can rule them in or out in pretty short order.

Old 07-22-19, 07:10 AM
aka pedro, thanks for the tip. I have adjusted the throttle and choke cables and it seems to work for now.

Old 09-04-19, 07:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Having had two mowers with the same symptoms, both of them with coils that were failing when they got hot, I would bet that is your problem.

Old 09-05-19, 06:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Charlie 2
Looking at the breakdown of your mower, I notice that it's a walk behind with a briggs motor. I have recently worked on a unit similar to your with the same issues. they would cut the back yard (15 minutes) and it runs good, they would shut it off for about 5 minutes so they could weed whack and it would not start for about 1/2 hour. I spec'd the valves and they were not to factory specs. I lapped them and put it back to factory specs and they haven't had an issue since then. Hopefully this helps you.
Regards
Snoman100