Mountng starter solenoid John Deere Gator TX

Old 07-21-19, 09:33 AM
Mountng starter solenoid John Deere Gator TX

I am having trouble installing a new starter solenoid on a Gator TX. Its a direct mount unit adjacent to the starter- not the type usually found on the firewall of an older car.
The solenoid has a plunger made of nylon that mates with a yoke that activates the starter motor. The solenoid has stationary mounting bolts that must begin to go into place as the solenoid is pushed into place and this keeps me from using some type tool to get the flattened part of the plunger in the yoke. It seems that without some special procedure to get these two items seated properly I am just pushing the plunger against the yoke without any connection between the two.

Any ideas on how to install this item? I have looked online for videos and find videos only on the old style solenoids that mount to the frame.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-19, 10:14 AM
Upvotes Received: 21
Is this a JD part for the tractor or a universal type? A picture of the solenoid woud help.

Old 07-21-19, 12:58 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 141
If having trouble with that solenoid I would consider a traditional style. They are dirt cheap, available everywhere and they work without head scratching.

Old 07-21-19, 01:13 PM
Upvotes Received: 2
Just take the starter off and pull the bendix up to the end of the starter. Then sit the solenoid in place. Everything should fall into alignment.

You'll need that type of solenoid to push the bendix fork.

Old 07-21-19, 09:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 14
Marbobj has you on the right track. It will go in place that way.

It can't be replaced with a regular solenoid.

Old 07-22-19, 04:17 AM
Thanks, Marbobj: I was about to conclude the starter would have to come off. I am not really sure how I even got the solenoid off without damage to the fork but it looks alright.

Old 07-22-19, 07:37 AM
With the starter out of the machine and on the bench it is so much easier to see how the two parts go together. The yoke does not extend to the center of the solenoid hole and this allows the solenoid shaft to go past the yoke and fit into place.

I believe this could be done with the starter on the machine now that I see the parts will fit together just before the mounting bolts have to go into their holes.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 07-22-19, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 141
I'm sorry for giving bad advice. I didn't check your machine to see if the starter was different from the other Gators like the XUV's.

Old 07-22-19, 06:23 PM
Forgiven.

More characters added so post will go.