B&S motor size?

Old 05-30-01, 06:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I got an old tiller from a friend who was going to throw it out. It seems to be in pretty good shape besides having a few parts missing off the engine. I would like to try to get it going but i'm not sure what size motor it has. All the stickers are off the tiller and the engine and i cant find anything that tells me how many hp it is. I would guess about 3-5 since the head is close to the same size as a 3 hp lawnmower head. Is there any way i can tell how many hp it is for sure?

Old 05-30-01, 08:11 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Junk-Man

Clean off the engine with some type of degreaser. Then closely inspect the engine around the cyclinder barrel and behind the fuel tank.

Your looking for stampings in the metal. Finding those will have the engine information you want.

Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it until it is broken!"

Old 05-31-01, 01:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking thanks

Thank you very much, thats just the kinda answer i was looking for.

Old 05-31-01, 09:13 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up B&S not BS :)

Also, if you find the numbers and go to Briggs and Stratton's website, and click "ask an engine technician" they will tell you all about the motor.

I did this with a gas edger I found (also thrown out) and they have been very helpful. Still have to change the head gasket and see if that solves the problem .

http://www.briggsandstratton.com

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: