lawn mower will not start

Old 05-31-01, 09:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

i have Murray 12 hp riding mower. i changed the spark plug,air filter,and put in new gas. the problem is it d
doesn'tseem to have any spark. what should i check?

i did ground the plug and i have sparkand i poured gas in the carb. it doesn't pop at all

[Edited by tinarick96 on 05-31-01 at 05:03]

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-01, 09:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It could be the magneto or electronic box that drives the spark...but, check the simple things first.

1) Put a little fuel in the cylinder. Will it now run on what's in there and die out? If so, fuel problem.

2) Sure you don't have spark? Can you hear or see it, even if faint. Are you grounding the plug wire to something metal so it can jump and you can see it ?

Old 05-31-01, 08:13 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome tinarick96 to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Small Engine forum. Keep in mind my company no longer services nor repairs small engine lawn and garden powered equipment. However, the help I can offer you is based upon my prior years in this industry with this type of equipment.

First it would be nice to know the age of this equipment. This may help to determine the type of ignition system it is equipped with.

There may be spark while the spark plug is layed on the cyclinder head with the wire attached. However, possible not to have enough currect under the compression load to fire. Usually, this may hapen with a points and condenser ignition system.

Another point to consider is the compression of the engine. You stated it does but doesn't have spark??? You also stated the engine makes no attempt to start, etc. Which could mean low compression do to age or a valve problem, etc.

Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.

Old 06-02-01, 05:30 PM
You may want to check your flywheel position. If the mower hit something it may have shifted the flywheel off its original position. You will have to pull flywheel and install a new keyway. Its happened to me!