Troybilt transmission/transaxle

Old 08-05-19, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Troybilt transmission/transaxle

I have a troybilt bronco rider single speed was using and just lost power to Trans , put new belts on thinking that is the problem ,but not so . Anyway have on jack stands and wheels spin but if I put in on the ground I have no forward or reverse. I have disassembled Trans and everything look fine , with exception of differential assembly I can spin both axles and it will not spin big gear except sometimes will catch and then it will , and also differential assembly has quit a bit of flex on each axle. Can someone tell me if replacing differential assmbly will solve the problem of no forward or reverse. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-19, 05:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
It depends on why. Why does it not catch and then sometimes catch? Where is the flex (I'm assuming you're talking about excessive play)? There are a lot of things that could cause the problem and all your gears and clearances will need to be checked.

Old 08-05-19, 05:31 PM
By flex you are correct in excess play . But the main problem is the difference as you can spin each axle and the spin fairly easily but the other axle doesn't always spin the opposite direction just occasionally have checked other gear and everything seems fine "nothing noticable" I seem to believe the ptoblrm b is the diffferentia l assembly . With the way it spins without turning the other side. What do you think . And thank you

Old 08-05-19, 05:47 PM
Received 57 Votes on 52 Posts
Maybe far fetched, but, if you haven't already, remove the wheels and check the keys and shafts. Not sure I would have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself, but a neighbor down the road called me this spring, engine on his mower ran but it wouldn't go and we just replaced the drive belt a year or so ago. Turned out one of the axles was broken right inside the hub, and somehow didn't fall off in the yard even while pushing it a few hundred feet or whatever it was back to his garage.

Old 08-05-19, 07:03 PM
Have the Trans apart and the axles are fine as far as connected but the differential as a whole is pretty shady, like I said earlier you can turn one but it doesn't turn the other except occasionally.

Old 08-06-19, 07:45 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Look closely to the neutral lockout some times they get stripped on the inside from not getting properly seated between uses. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-06-19, 11:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think anyone will be able to say conclusively unless they know why it's doing what it's doing. The fact that one side sometimes turns and sometimes doesn't isn't enough by itself. Missing or damaged teeth, visible excessive wear, and cracks or other damage are things that could cause your problem. If none of those are evident, then replacing the differential assy may not fix anything. What about the bushing surfaces that hold the axles in alignment and the pinion gear on them?

Old 08-06-19, 01:28 PM
The teeth are all fine the bushings and seals all look fine as well but plan on replacing them when I put it back together after I find out what the problem is . Don't wanna spend 130.00 on the differental assembly unless that's the problem . Just don't know what it could be if it's not the diffential. 5hats why I got on here yall seem to know your stuff when it comes to these mowers and I appreciate all the input!! Thank you all

Old 08-06-19, 10:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
We do, but you can't tell what's wrong without more information. It's like saying my engine won't crank, is it my starter? We can't say more than "maybe" until there is more info.

Old 08-07-19, 06:15 AM
What kind of info you need ?will get it !

Old 08-07-19, 10:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We need to know why it's skipping like that. What is allowing it to? You'll have to inspect it closely and watch the operation to figure out what's happening that causes the problem. Then it can be attributed to one thing or another. Something is faulty but without being able to visually inspect it, we can only guess at what.

Old 08-07-19, 01:09 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Year and model number for the mower and the model and manufacturer for the transmission would be helpful. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-19-19, 07:53 PM
Troybilt bronco different assy

After being unable to see anything with the diff assly ,I took the chance and ordered a new one , after installing it and putting new grease in transaxle I am happy to say that the mower is operating at near new condition.

Last edited by Byron Morris; 08-19-19 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Misspells
Old 08-19-19, 10:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's good news! Glad you got it going.